Trying to install Windows from a Linux machine...it hurts so bad

I have been running Linux Mint 17.2 for a little while but am looking to reinstall Windows 7 onto my machine. In addition I am trying to set up a second machine for my son to take with him to school this year, that one is currently running LMDE. I don't have a CD/DVD drive but I do have an ISO and a couple USB's. The pre-installed USB Image Writer has not been working for me. When I try to boot from it my computer sees the USB but does not recognize it as bootable media. Upon further research in the Software Manager one review stated "Doesn't work with windows isos...". The other option I found in the Software Manager, unetbootin, is pretty much the same story.

Does anyone here know of an image write on Linux that is able to work with Windows ISO's? I'm at a bit of a loss here.

Ive never tried installing windows from linux, as I have an oem disk for both 7 and 8. But I believe what you are looking for is the dd command. I might be wrong though. Google it and see if it will fix your problem

Sorry you hurt so bad....

Have you seen this:

Not sure if that's your looking for.

So like you have a windows 7 ISO?

Just use rufus to make a bootable USB, works for me anyways.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

1 Like

Assuming your usb stick is /dev/sdb:

sudo dd if=/path/to/win/iso of=/dev/sdb && sync

Use:

lsblk

to find which device file is your usb stick (look at the size column, that should be a dead giveaway).

dd won't show any progress by default, you will have to wait until it's done.

1 Like

Use Rufus to make the bootable USB and then just boot from the USB in the bios.

@ Streetguru & offroadslayer88
I cannot see any version of Rufus that is compatible with Linux, only Windows.

@ Ksajal
Tried yours out and am still getting a "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" message when I try to boot from it. I have used this same USB to install Linux so I know that it is working.

You can try using Unetbootin which is similar to Rufus. I've only created bootable Linux USB with it, but apparently you can use Windows 7 ISO as well.

Hmm, when I try using Unetbootin I see two options in my boot menu, the USB and the USB via UEFI. When I select the UEFI option it boots straight to GRUB/Linux Mint 17.2, when I select the USB option it loads Unetbootin where the only option is "Default" and it cycles on a ten second counter which resets once hitting zero.

Just tried it myself and got the same results as you. Maybe we're over-complicating it?

Have you tried just formatting the USB stick as NTFS, extracting the contents of the ISO to it, and then try booting from it? I've personally used that method in the past. I'm going to test it right now.

Unetbootin wouldn't recognize NTFS, only FAT32 and EXT4. I tried it with the USB Image Writer under NTFS and Unetbootin under EXT4 but still no luck.

I'm not having any luck either. Heh do you have a USB DVD burner by chance? You could always install the old-school way, worst case scenario

EDIT:
Nevermind, just read your original post. Hmmm..

EDIT 2:
Apparently, I can't post for another 19 hours? Really?

Anyway...

This is admittedly a little involved, but you can try if you'd like.

1. Install Windows 7 on VirtualBox in Linux
  2. Copy your Windows 7 ISO to your Desktop inside the virtual machine
  3. Install the VirtualBox Guest Additions (Machine > Install Guest Additions)
  4. Attach your flash drive to the virtual machine (Machine > USB Devices > "Your flash drive name")
  5. Within Windows 7, download and run YUMI
  6. Follow the wizard to add the Windows 7 installer to the flash drive
  7. Done

I don't, probably going to need to pick one up though. I appreciate everyone's input on this. Please let me know if any of you have other ideas.

1 Like

Just use Gparted.
Format the USB to NTFS and add a boot flag
Extract ISO with 7zip or whatever to your usb.

Not sure why people use USB tools to create bootable media lol.

I was pretty sure that there was a version of Rufus for Linux but if none of the other work to your liking you could just run it in a vm or with wine

Okay, been trying it in VM for a little while and I think I almost have it. The problem now is that VM will not detect my USB device.

or just buy a DVD burner for $13,- or so and a blank dvd.
i still ♥ my DVD burner lol.

There are tons of open source burning program´s,
in which you could burn bootable iso´s.

+1. Best method for writing an iso to a storage device.

Back in 1974 when it came out. :P

1 Like

It's still the best. It's the proper way to do it. I can't run the Fedora iso without using did to copy it. UUI and UNetBootIn never worked for me.