Trying to fit the most power in the smallest space: Meet the Tesseract

The build:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: -ASRock ITX Motherboard placeholder-
Memory: Team T-Force / Night Hawk 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Patriot Ignite M2 480GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($179.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: XFX Radeon Pro Duo 8GB Video Card (Purchased For $650.00)
Case: Lian-Li PC-Q10WX Mini ITX Desktop Case (Purchased For $116.50)
Power Supply: Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply (Purchased For $80.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit (Purchased For $0.00)

So some notes about the hardware choices:

1. ASRock ITX motherboard is what I’m waiting on to complete this build.
  2. I’ve read reviews of the RAM and none have shown me red flags. It’s like $14 more to get 32GB vs 16GB compared to all other RAM and I feel like I can take the heatspreader off to cover the LEDs if I don’t like the lighting.
  3. That M.2 SSD is chosen for price reasons. I don’t feel I’d notice the difference betwen 500MB/s and 2GB/s speeds. Even with VMs. I’d rather have NVMe, but obviously cost is a factor and the benefit isn’t really necessary. Though I would prefer it simply because “most power in smallest space”.
  4. I’ll be modding the case to fit the video card.
  5. The power supply only having two 6+2 PCI-e power cables means I will need to use a Molex -> 6+2 pin adapter. If I leave everything stock, PCPP states it will use about 450w considering TDPs. I intend to underclock the GPU and overclock the CPU and I feel they’ll balance out at around 500w. I have a watt-meter so I’ll be able to verify my PSU is fine.

The ideal with this is that it will be running some flavor of Linux (whatever I feel makes my life easiest but gives me things like Linux Containers and compatibility with hardware passthrough).

I’m almost 100% sure it won’t work, but I’m going to see about passing the GPU through to a Windows VM. In both Windows and Linux, these dual GPU cards are viewed as two separate GPUs. Though my understanding of IOMMU grouping means they’ll almost certainly be grouped by the PCI-e slot and so it’s both or neither and I won’t be able to do that. We’ll see.

I will decide on the distro later. I’d prefer something without SystemD (so maybe https://devuan.org, Debian without SystemD). I’m not versed enough to make something work with init that depends on SystemD so we’ll see.

I intend to add a decent handle to the top of the Case for carrying around like a suitcase or similar.

I’m going to be removing the PSU bracket and moving the PSU to a different position so I can have two 120mm AIO Radiators. One for the Pro Duo and one for the R7 1700 CPU.

We’ll see how much of this I can actually do, but end game is experimental VMs/containers for learning and gaming for days. I’m hopeful.

Feel free to give feedback. I may have overlooked something.

“Why call it tesseract?”

Because it’s a cool name. Thinking on it more, maybe some play off of Neutron Star (because small and dense and therefore powerful), but I can’t think of a better name atm. So for me, tesseract works. Suggestions are welcome.

#Edit 03/22/2017:

I have decided to go custom water cooling with this system. The parts I’ll be getting will include the following:

EK Supremacy EVO Plexi+Nickel CPU waterblock: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-supremacy-evo-amd-nickel

EK FC Radeon Pro Duo Plexi+Nickel GPU waterblock (they made a water block for this? LOL): https://www.amazon.com/EK-FC-Radeon-Pro-Duo-Nickel/dp/B01F9N6K3S

EK XRES-100 Reservoir: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xres-100-ddc-acetal With DDC Pump.

At least one 240mm radiator possibly with a second 120mm radiator.

“But where will you put all this stuff?”

I have plans. I’ve taken apart the case a bit and checked, and I’ll be able to move the PSU to the front of the case (effectively) rather than hanging from the top. This will allow me to stick the 240mm to the roof as it has mounting points for that and clearance as well.

The 120mm I might be able to fit under the PSU on the front. There’s a lot of problems with that though. No ventilation on front panel; how to setup the runs of tube;

It’ll be with black fittings, clear tube, and clear coolant (basically distilled water + biocide copper liquid). I like simple and I like water. Water is a pretty cool thing. It will almost certainly have lighting.

This might hinder my ability to add a handle, but we’ll see. My goal is no external stuff like fans or radiators. That’s not elegant to me.

Total Rad+Fan thickness is 70mm or 2.75 inches. I have about 2.5 inches to work with, so I may not be able to fit both the radiator and fans up top inside the case. We’ll see what we can do to make that happen later.

Progress is being made.

After checking out EK’s slim radiators, I’ll probably just get a 240mm for those. Should be enough, I’d hope. I’ll see if I can fit a 120mm somewhere later.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-coolstream-se-240-slim-dual

5 Likes

Hypernova, Betelguese, Siruis, Arcturus, Alpha Gruis, Alpha Pegassi

1 Like

I like!! :D

1 Like

Plagiarizing this thread for my future build.

Mine would have more corsair tho...

1 Like

Not sure if you saw this.

2 Likes

Yes, I'll be modding the case to accept the GPU, and I will use a Molex -> 6+2 pin adapter or get the next tier up in Silverstone SFX PSUs to accomodate. Thanks.

Glad others like it.

It's funny you mention Hypernova as I immediately thought of that on NGNL.

But that and star names is less what I'm going for. Something more like a concept name or class of object rather than specific object names. Preferably something that denotes "small" and "powerful". Dense is a natural result of that, but not exactly the same thing.

Hypernova kinda works because it's caused by atoms but is the most powerful explosion the universe can experience AFAIK (effectively a big bang). But at the same time, it's more an event rather than an object. A neutron star is an object for example. An explosion is an event. Would rather event, though I will keep Tesseract/Hypernova as backup in case nothing better comes.

i.e. in this case Tesseract is a theoretical fourth dimensional object, but if such objects existed, we could specify using their given names.

But things like Black Hole, Neutron Star, and such don't give it the oomph I like in a name. Decisions decisions. lol

Edit:

I found this NVMe SSD so perhaps I don't need to make the sacrifice after all.

https://pcpartpicker.com/mr/amazon/xGhj4D

1 Like

What about Quarktop? Top quark is the heaviest observed elementary particle plus it's a play on desktop.

1 Like

Oh, I've never heard of that one. Sounds neat. I'll have to let it grow on me before I decide. Good suggestion.

Does it fit in the Ncase M1? That would be definitely smaller or the DAN A4 SFX which is the smallest case on the market right now.

1 Like

No real info about that X300 so ..Taichi? :D

https://www.pcper.com/news/Motherboards/BIOSTAR-Shows-Mini-ITX-AM4-Motherboard-AMD-Ryzen

1 Like

I already own the case as there is an element of "I want to like the aesthetic of my case." to this. The Ncase M1 looks like a small normal PC case.

I like Lian Li's cases. Brushed Aluminum plus the acrylic side panel for nice views.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I had considered "are there smaller cases?" but of the smaller ones, this was the best appearance:size for me.

I will wait however long it takes for more ITX boards to come out.

From the RyZen launch, I remember them mentioning that board manufacturers were waiting to see how well RyZen sells to decide on if they would do ITX motherboards or not because past AMD launches had been bad for them.

Considering RyZen was on Amazon's top selling items list, I figure it's likely it's doing well and that we'll start getting more info on other ITX boards in a month or two.

I'm a patient man. Plus, I have a server ITX board with the dreaded C2000 Intel Atom Avoton CPU (8 core, 2.4GHz) that I can use temporarily. Unless it dies on me. I've been lucky so far though.

X300 Taichi ..? :D

I mean, that'd be the logical thing to do right? From where I look things its in popularity just after ASUS Hero/Pro & Gigabyte Gaming 5, that hinta.fi comparison site doesn't even list it being X370 so people are specifically checking it which I find being really curious.

Just watching out for ya. Nothing worse than buying a new build and then it not working with each other.

2 Likes

?

The ASRock Taichi is an X370 ATX motherboard.

If there's a Taichi X300 ITX version coming out, that'd be cool.

I just measured my case. Clearance for a GPU is about 292mm. I've flagged the issue as incorrect on PCPP. The GPU is 281mm, so it should (barely) fit.

1 Like

Inspiration for what to do!

2 Likes

Too much Thor for your own good ( ͡ᶢ ͜ʖ ͡ᶢ)

2 Likes

Update:

My final part is in. The Motherboard. Now all I have to do is actually put the system together. We have POST. I've got Windows installed temporarily to simplify some benchmarks to check stability, then I'll begin water cooling preparations.

Now that I actually have both the Slim radiator and the Slim fans here, both will fit above the motherboard once I move the PSU bracket. My PSU is an SFX-L and not just an SFX, so everything is pretty cramped in this system as it is.

Interestingly, without water cooling, everything would fit as it is. Pretty happy about that.

Since this is my first journey in custom watercooling, and I've chosen a build hard to work in (M-ITX), it may be slow going as I be careful not to damage anything while getting all the hardware into the system. The Pro Duo being a single slot card with its custom waterblock, and what I plan to do with the PSU should combine to make this a bit easier though.

More to come. Stay tuned.

It’s been a while, but I’ve made a lot of progress.

So tell me, have I gone too far yet?

IMG_20171026_000702

I know the GPU sag is notable and the PSU shouldn’t be sitting on it like that, but this is a temporary mockup.

IMG_20171026_000723

Back intake fan is external because with it inside, I can’t run my tubes how I want.

IMG_20171026_000715

The radiator is in with the two 120mm Gentle Typhoon fans. That was an ordeal.

IMG_20171026_000804

I like the “two of each thing” columns going on. Two fans at top, two GPUs, two fans on bottom. All in a line.

IMG_20171026_000708

The two 140mm intake Noctua Industrial fans were so close to not fitting, but I was trying to insert them with the GPU in. Getting it out, they fit perfectly with a bit of room to spare.

IMG_20171026_000738

The screw holes I had to make for the radiator are slightly off center and that will always bother me.

I will have to make new ones and move it a bit more as I did not consider being able to take off the outer shell of the case with the radiator in. Once I am able to do that, running tubes and doing maintenance will be very easy.

I’ll have to bleed out the air in this loop with it upside down. I’m sure that’ll be doable. It’s just something to consider. Filling will be a lot easier than that.

Cable Management? PSH, what’s that? lmao

Other things still to be done:

1. Get smaller SFX PSU. This 800w Silverstone PSU is an SFX-L and it just interferes too much. An SFX PSU is 25% shorter in length, and this is exactly what I need. Space is at a premium.
  2. Repair my GPU. It was damaged installing the waterblock. I don’t know if this is possible, but I will try. If anyone knows an SMD (surface-mounted device) solder expert who is willing to put some capacitors on this GPU, let me know. I’ll pay.
  3. Get metal plate for the back fan mount. Because I could fit two 140mm fans in the bottom, I don’t need the rear fan. My answer to what to do with that spot is cover it with a square aluminum plate and mount HDDs there for storage space.
  4. Get a Y for emptying the case and install the valve on the aforementioned aluminum plate. Should be fairly simple and useful for emptying.

ETA to Completion (at current rate): Q4 2022

3 Likes

Quick bump:

I’ve decided to acid etch this logo on the aluminum plate.

HyperCube

more like tess-erect amirite

2 Likes