Trying to figure out a decent workstation update for 3d rendering

hey all trying to figure out a good platform upgrade for some of my 3d graphics workers. they are currently using older sky lake 7900x platform ( was bought before i came in ) with some 1080ti on mechanical hard drives. not to bad but def showing its age. we use Houdini. unreal, adobe aftereffects and nuke for a lot of of 3d projects… we do have a render farm at one of the facilities but im trying to help spec out the “satellite” office so they can do more work locally in case of wan issues

thoughts so far…note the graphics card i already have for hence the zero price tag

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZCPWf9

Would recommend a case with better airflow.
Silverstone RL06
CoolerMaster HP500P
InWin IW-PL689

2 Likes

thanks i wasnt “sold” on the case but thanks for the recommendations

1 Like

yeah part of my plan was to reuse their current hardware to make a local Adobe render box they can send stuff too…to render before sending the overall project to the render farm… but ill look more into their recommendations

1 Like

I’d go for a 1200W PSU, for future upgrades. (For adding a second gpu and a 3990X or next gen TR).

Does having an RTX6000 really help specifically over a RTX Titan? Afaik they’re the same thing (with the former having more software support(?)). If I were in your shoes, I’d try and sell the RTX6000 and get two RTX Titans et NVLink 'em. I know, a crazy suggestion. The extra money for the second Titan could come by downgrading to a 3960X.

For CUDA rendering VRAM is secondary consideration. Important, but always comes second. The most important factor is number of CUDA cores. However there is also economic aspect. TitanRTX or Quadros RTX perform on par or worse than 2080Ti RTX which is a kind of gold standard. 6000 Quadro can only be viable option if budget is basically a non-issue and you know you’ll use-up every last ounce of that massive VRAM space. TitanRTX vs 2080Ti is waste of money. You spend much more for negligible performance gain (if any), only sensible if you require that 24 GB VRAM space, but QuadroRTX6000 is still awful, terrible value.

Same was true for previous generation. 1080Ti was much better buy than Pascal Titan or Pascal Quadro. Because of price difference (even at height of crypto-mining craze!) it was prudent to buy like 8 1080Ti across two machines instead 4 Quadros for one. You saved tons of dosh and rendered much more projects in same period of time.

Link to benchmark database for DAZ and IRAY render if you find it useful. Pretty self explanatory.

IMHO if you rendering on CUDA there is no point using CPU for that in addition - unless power bill is a non-issue. Even 3970x will have negligible influence on total render time. I’ve ran test long time ago on a scene which on dual 1080Ti rendered for 31 hours (believe or not to the second). Adding 1st gen Threadripper to the mix shaved literally 58 seconds during 2nd benchmark run. That was last time I’ve used CPU for anything when rendering in CUDA ecosystem.

Titan RTX seems like a better choice than a RTX6000, although I’m not sure if the 2080Ti’s memory capacity is large enough for pros.

(Talking about AE specifically)
Although there might seem be a point of diminishing returns, especially on the CPU side, software like RenderGarden do exist (as seen in one of L1T’s prev videos), exponentially improving performance.

1 Like

thanks guys for all the suggestions…for the GPU we got those in already so sadly at this point cant replace them but they should be a good upgrade as i already slotted one of them into their current rigs and they got a considerable upgrade in MAYA but i will def look into a better power supply. as far as cpu we do have some workloads that use cpu cores as opposed to GPU based on the workload/version of software so im trying to cover as many bases as possible but again im def open to suggestions

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.