Trying to build a Vesa P&D/M1-D to DVI adapter

Hey all

A family member gave me a free 2003-4 vintage digital projector he couldn’t get a picture out of. It unfortunately only supports digital input via Vesa Plug & Display or more commonly known by the name InFocus gave it: M1-D.

Looking at the pinouts it seems that the P&D is basically a single-link DVI along with USB and FireWire. I only need the single link DVI though.

I live in Europe and getting hold of a M1-D to HDMI or DVI adapter requires me to pay $35+ US, which is a bit much for my taste. In the US they are readily available, I’m not sure why they are less common here.

I managed to get hold of an old Dell something something P&D to dual DVI custom cable. The P&D plug is the correct dimension and has all the needed pins. I stripped the cable and desoldered all the wires.

The pinouts are from pinouts.ru and interfacebus.com. DVI pinout and
Plug and Display pinout.

Then I connected the TDMDS data lines to the corresponding one in the DVI cable. The wiring is done as follows:

DVI     P&D
-----------------------------------
  1      2     TMDS Data 2- 
  2      1     TMDS Data 2+
  3      3     TMDS Data 2 shield

6     27     DDC clock                                     
  7     26     DDC data

9     12     TMDS Data 1-
 10     11     TMDS Data 1+
 11     13     TMDS Data 1 shield

14     28     5V
 15     25     *DDC return (GND in DVI)*
 16            *Hot plug detect*

17     22     TMDS Data 0-
 18     21     TMDS Data 0+
 19     23     TMDS Data 0 shield

22      7     TMDS Clock shield
 23     14     TMDS Clock+
 24     15     TMDS Clock-

I’ve triple checked the pins and I can’t seem to figure out where the issue is. I suspect there’s something with the hot plug stuff, but can’t be sure.

If you have any ideas to what my next step should be, feel free to comment.

If you happen to have one of these adapters and a multimeter, I would very much appreciate it if you could check the wiring and tell me I’m an idiot :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance

EDIT: The pins marked with an asterisk are the ones I doubt are correct.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.