Hi all, Been a long time watcher of Level1 but not a big forum poster. I am in need of some help. For the past 2 weeks I am trying to figure out what to get for a home NAS.
The Primary Functions of it would be:
- Backup local computers to it (in case cloud backup shits the bed)
- Plex hosting
- Have my media on here (TV, Movies, Music, etc.)
- Record OTA broadcasts to the device (yes I know there are other ways to do this but since I am not alone in the house this has to be included.)
I have went down a giantic rabbit hole in this process and am just super confused as to what to get to make sure I can future proof the box. From my research I was able to figure out the following:
- OS is looking like unRaid. Nothing wrong with FreeNAS but it appears that UnRaid for a home use looks better to me (unless I am horribly wrong please correct me if this is the case)
- HD Homerun Quatro and Antenna will take care of the OTA live channels and Plex Pass will do the DVR duties
- There is no good tower case that can hold between 8-10 Hard Drives that I am able to find
- The setup will effectively be 8-10 NAS Drives (not all at once my wallet can handle so much) SSD for the OS, SSD for Plex Indexing, SSD for RAID indexing if need be, and a motherboard that I can upgrade with PCI cards for when I get crazier ideas down the road
I am open to your suggestions for I am completely lost and can not find a single good spec sheet out there for a NAS that I can upgrade down the line.