Trust your GPS? Maybe not...Russia mucks with it

Ahh I see what you mean. Yes it was more of a regional disruption. I took that as them referring to the G in GPS. Inaccurate and clickbaity, but not fake.

Because it wasn’t global. The accusation is that the Reds are hacking the GNSS globally. They’re not. Thus: Fake News.

If an automated combine harvester in Australia goes out of control, then that’s global — if the GNSS within XXkm of Putin goes on the blink that’s local.

The ‘news’ outlet deliberately lied about the scope to make the ‘threat’ seem more real to the reader. They do that sort of crap all the time. It increases ‘reader engagement’ by triggering people who are insecure. “Playing on people’s fears.”

1 Like

SO, if I follow your line of thinking, correct me if I misunderstand, the only way to disrupt the GLONASS system is to disrupt all satellites at once globally, there is no way to target individual satellites to perturbate their individual signal to create localized signal "confusion"on a scale you pre-determine by selectively perturbating signals on a group of satellites visible to a particular region in a varied fashion so as to target a specific region of your choosing?
Just like there is no way to DOS specific servers (including DNS) without taking down the entire internet right? the system is designed for resiliency so that several nodes can go down or be disrupted without affecting the global system. In fact, any hack would be designed not to cause global ripples or it would decimate confidence in the system globally.

In that post I am assuming the errors in satellites at the edges of the chosen target areas are small enough that most GNSS firmware smooths them out by design so that GNSS devices outside the area never notice anything.
So this beg a question: how many satellites can be wrong and by how much before devices are "misled"and what is the resolution of such a satellite “attack” in longitude and latitude? Minutes of angle resolution is probably not possible But what is?

When you think about it, there wouldn’t be any gain to disrupting the system globally. You don’t want to hurt confidence in GPS, you want to achieve your specific goal, whether that be crashing an airplane, changing the travel route of a kidnap target, or causing delays in shipping lanes to take advantage of trade arbitrage.

Precisely, you want to do this covertly. If you are caught with loaded dice, everyone quits thegame. But if you are clever…
Perhaps this is an experiment to determine resolution and ‘‘detectability’’ of GNSS interference.
And why not? Hacking for state purposes occurs in every other network we have, why is this one spared? I doubt it is. And that is my fundamental point.

Surely we can see the advantage to any state able to disrupt GNSS signals in a target region for a variety of purposes.
My questions were along the lines of how targeted can it be (the resolution, accuracy , precision).
I rely on my GPS device to get me back to my truck after climbs, multi-day adventures.
I don’t worry about that. But as a veteran, I worry about vulnerability of USA infrastructure and, since I know state actors are attempting incursions on other network, I wonder how vulnerable we are in the GNSS network.
I don;'t expect detailed answers, as they’d be classified anyway and for good reason. But layman’s explanation would be fine.,