TrueNAS Server Hardware Check

I’m trying to scale down the bizarre collection of hardware I have which has all been running various home server services and is just a bit of a mess. Consolidating will also help keep the electricity bill down, which right now is a big factor.

Anyway, I have an Asrock Rack E3C224D2I with a 4C/4T Xeon and 16GB ECC RAM inside a In-Win MS04 NAS case. Is this enough grunt to run TrueNAS with 4x8TB HDDs and a couple SSDs if the main job is going to be for storage (media, backups etc.) rather than running many applications?

I’ve got an Asus PN50 with 32GB RAM in which will run the majority of applications that require more grunt than a Pi4 can deliver (couple game servers, for example) and a Synology Ds416Play with 4x6TB and 8GB RAM that can also run a few bits.

I have a mATX Supermicro board with a 4C/8T Xeon (Haswell, same as the ITX set up) and 32GB RAM as well but there just isn’t a nice and compact case that I can find to squeeze this into like the MS04. I also think it might be overkill.

I guess to summarise, is the ITX setup enough?

Yes

1 Like

Will work just fine. Pick Core for pure storage server. I’d add a small SSD as cache, 16GB is lower limit more or less. And use compression (lz4) and avoid dedup :slight_smile:

Mixing both HDDs and SSDs won’t go well together for data. But you can create two pools, but that is double the work and maintenance.

Optimal case (pool performance and capacity per $/€) is one pool with HDDs (all of them) for data, SSDs for caching and lots of memory (when talking ZFS).

It should be fine, yeah. If you want 10gig ethernet, you can pop in a NIC in the PCIe slot. If you need more storage, get bigger drives.

It’s a situation like needing both 10gig networking, and a lot more bigger drives where you might to make some changes. Even then you could get an ITX board that had 10gig onboard, and then put an HBA in the PCIe slot instead of a NIC.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.