TRS-80 Model lll: _Something Something Cool Name_

I will buy you a PC cae to get that whole thing intact. I will get you a mac classic for you to do that. TRS-80 machines are extremely collectible and the Z80 setups they have are magnificent.

This is the only time I will beg anyone, DO NOT TEAR THAT THING APART.

Too late.

Seriously you could have sold that for like 2000 bucks thoe are really expensive te get a hold of.

I'm gunna fucking slap you about if I ever meet you.

Dude, there are tons on eBay for under $500. I got this one cheap because the power cord had been cut and the bottom half of the mounting bracket for the crt was broken so it was swinging free.

1 Like

PROGRESS!

Any suggestions on setting up the intake and exhaust would be welcome. As of now I'm planning on just mounting some filter foam on the top vents then some large low rpm fans to pull in air. Maybe seal around the fans so it's only pulling outside air.

6 Likes

This is a cool build. I look forward to the progress.

1 Like

What are you planning on doing about the monitor? Can you reuse the old one or are you going to try to find something to fit in there?

I'm using a 10 inch retina display. As cool as it would be to keep the old CRT installed, 200p and monochromatic does not a good desktop environment make. Also it took up a lot of the interior space, would have eaten electricity and made a lot of heat.

I may try and use the naked CRT for something a little more artsy or just silly.

3 Likes

The aspect ratio won't be right moving from a crt to what I assume is 16:9. So what are you planning on doing with the extra space around the screen?

It's a 4:3 but there will still be a bit of space to fill in but that can be solved with a 1/4" thick sheet of polyethylene.

1 Like

Hooking up an iPad display. Never thought I would love something like it but I gave it a go when I saw Wendel's video and it was cheap enough to justify.

It is my main monitor now on my desktop for games. I am strange but I love it.

1 Like

Unfortunately due to the failing of human evolution to perfectly adapt to the flawless design of the TRS-80, with it's physics defying ability for the keyboard and monitor to occupy the same space, I will likely be utilizing a second monitor.

Perhaps I'll do a part 2 to this build in which I make a bezel and shroud for a modern monitor to look like a really big, old display.

2 Likes

yes

I have to take some update pictures. Progress has been slow because China post is slow and I'm still waiting on the screen, additionally my project to build a storage shed evolved into building a small house. But I have determined that my old 24" HP monitor would be the perfect monitor to transform

1 Like

should have ordered from trump

where is the build log?

1 Like

I'll get on it.

excellent, these forums need a revival of project threads

I miss the days of seeing the feed with cool idea and projects filling it before I saw "are you free" and "comcast sucks" like threads

3 Likes

theres a good chance we're going to plug the crap out of this and other projects on twitter when more blingy photo are posted :)

5 Likes

I don't use twitter but that is great to hear!

I hope that it brings more DIY projects to the forums, and maybe it will boost @Braysive's ego to do more projects/post more flashy pictures

If there's anything bigger than my ego I want it captured and shot.

3 Likes