[Troubleshooting] Trying to get Nvidia PRIME to display 120hz

So, right now I'm trying to get the 120hz refresh rate to work on Nvidia PRIME using the available drivers via the ubuntu additional software GUI, but I've run into a snag where I can't seem to find a way to get the panel to display 120hz while using the Nvidia GPU mode.

120Hz does work under intel mode, but it seems like bumblebee doesn't work in the case of the GTX 1060?

Specs
Laptop Model: MSI GS73VR 7RF Stealth Pro
CPU: Intel i7-7700HQ
dGPU: GTX 1060 6G
RAM: 16GB DDR4 2300MHz

not mentioning anything else since they don't really matter for figuring this out.

Things I've Tried

• Attempt to set panel refresh rate through xrandr commands : Will not apply it
  • Apply settings via nvidia's xconfig tool: just gives null screens when the dGPU is selected as the primary render device
  • Give the setting to enable 1920x1080_120.00 in the xorg.conf (didn't seem to take it)
  • Tried using bumblebee, results in system hang on launch of optirun.

Up for any ideas.

Resolved since Ubuntu 16.10 or so, using the driver GUI on Ubuntu to install the latest tested Nvidia binary driver that uses PRIME instead. Still problematic given that prime-select back to intel GPUs results in the next session not being able to reach LightDM (must launch into single user mode or use nomodeset to switch back. Easiest way to bypass it is likely to just uninstall the driver for the Nvidia GPU. Either that or back up the xorg file before exiting the session?

As a side note: it does seem possible to pass through the GTX 1060 on this device to a VM, as IOMMU groups are set up well enough to get the GPU to go on through. Some reports of success with older MUXed and MUXless devices.

See: https://gist.github.com/Misairu-G/616f7b2756c488148b7309addc940b28

Ok, bit of a caveat. While it is ‘working’ in that sense, On a 120hz display right out of the gate of installing the nvidia binary driver; the GPU is technically not putting out at 120hz. It seems to report as 60hz on the PRIME display, even if the device’s display is running at 120hz.