[FIXED] ThreadRipper OC on Asrock Taichi X399 broken

Hi All,

I successfully overclocked my 1950x to 4.1Ghz @1.325V and I can run all benchmarks (Prime95, Blender, … ) without any issue for 1 hour.

However with World of Tanks I keep getting disconnected from the server. I also noticed that the “ping” time is higher compared to when my CPU is not overclocked. Sometime I see the ping time being stuck to 999ms even though I see the other players moving smoothly. I literally get disconnected every few minutes.

As a test I lowered the clock to 3,8Ghz @1.375V, but the issue remains. When I remove the fixed clock and go to stock configuration (everything automatic) I never get disconnected from the WOT server and “ping” times are very low 1-10ms.
Also when I start up in stock configuration and use Ryzen Master to overclock to 4.1Ghz @1.325V everything runs without anymore and I never get disconnected from the server of WOT.

From my tests I think I can rule out that the clock is too high or voltage too low. But somehow overclocking ThreadRipper through the bios seems to mess up some timing in World of Tanks.

Does anyone experienced the same? Or have any idea how to fix this?

System:

• AMD ThreadRipper 1950x
  • Asrock Taichi X399 (with Beta bios from 2018/5/11 to fix the Windows sleep bug)
  • G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW
  • MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SEA HAWK EK

Hi All,

After some more looking at this. I notice a difference between overclocking through BIOS and overclocking through AMD Ryzen Master.

When I overclock through the BIOS, the Bus Clock (100Mhz) is not stable, it’s moving from 98-102Mhz. With a multiplier of 41 the CPU frequency is varying quit a bit. This is most likely the root cause of my problem.

When overclocking with AMD Ryzen Master the Bus Clock is rock solid 100Mhz.

Does anyone experienced the same? Or have any idea how to fix this?
I might want to try the previous BIOS revision … but this will bring back the windows sleep bug :frowning:

Thank you,

Brian.

Reverting back to BIOS 2.0 fixes the unstable bus clock … but introduces the Windows sleep bug again … :cry:

Overclocking Threadripper on Asrock Taichi X399 is not functional at this moment …

If it wasn’t for World of Tanks I wouldn’t have found / noticed these issues … who would have thought that World of Tanks is great tool for verifying overclocked systems :joy:

I submitted a ticket with Asrock and their help desk has been very supportive.
They send me different early releases of Asrock Taichi X399 BIOS. Now I’m running 2.35 and everything is fixed.

Really appreciate all the support Asrock provided. Of course it would have been better if the problem was not there to begin with … but it’s very reassuring to know that Asrock help desk is there to help people when they have problems.
My next mother board will certainly be Asrock!!!