Troubleshooting Framerate Spikes - Is it possible? If so, how?

Although the games I'm about to mention are probably not the best examples, I've been having some issues with my new pc that I just built last week.  It's also worth mentioning this is my first time with building a pc, gaming on a pc, and attempting to understand this new way of life.  I've modded Skyrim a fair bit (not nearly as much as Logan) and also no ENBs so far.  I've just activated mods through the nexus mod manager.  With Fraps I've noticed the fps drop from 60 to 50, sometimes down to 45.  I know these are decent framerates as they are well above the common console 30fps, but as I see it, when it's jumping from 60 down to 45, it's very irritating to the eye.  I'm also seeing this in other games as well such as Assassins Creed 4,  Witcher 2, and World of Warcraft.  With my pc build I was hoping to avoid having problems with framerate, but it seems it is still a slight issue I'm having.  Is this something to be expected from pc gaming?  Is this something others find annoying?  Are there ways to troubleshoot and get around this issue?  I think 60fps ALL the time would be a beautiful thing and gaming would be even more enjoyable on the PC.    Thanks guys and gals,  I just joined the community today and I'm very excited to hear your opinions on this and many other topics!  

heres my build:  

GPU:   EVGA GTX 780 Ti (ACX Cooler SuperClocked Edition)

CPU:   Intel Core i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz

RAM:   Corsair Dominator 16GB (2X 8GB)

MB:   Asus Maximus VI Hero

Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 120GB  and  WD Black 1 TB HDD

Case:  Cooler Master Cosmos 2

My case?

Yeah man try a different case.

thanks for the feedback...

Limit your framerate to 30 and see if the spikes go away :)

well i was trying to avoid 30 fps,  but how would I go about doing that?

You should have no problem running skyrim if you have not as many mods as Logan. He uses a similar setup with the same gpu. I suggest, if you haven't already, get a decent cpu cooler and over clock that i7. But before that, make sure drivers are up to date and make sure you don't have any viruses or anything running in the background. 

grab some performance optimization mods for skyrim, they are easy to find using search on nexus, and the Witcher 2 and Assasins creed 4 will punish just about any system on Max settings, Lower AA settings and frame drops should go away. What resolution are you playing at?

1920x1080,  I've got an H100i corsair cpu cooler.  Is that good to do a bit of overclocking on my i7? Also, are there any particular skyrim performance mods you suggest?  Thanks for the great feedback guys!

are you trolling about the cpu cooler? and perf mods are as follows: make sure you have SKSE

read this guide: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/6131/?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/32505/?

that should help

really though, dig into the nexus forums and mod website and find things, just be careful because it can be addicting.

haha no trolling.  and thanks for the links.

its a H100i, of course you can overclock an i7. thats the reason people buy those coolers, for overclocking. you should be able to reach at least 4.5-4.6 ghz no problem, and go higher if you want.

sweeeet.  yeah, im very new to pc gaming and honestly have no clue about stuff.  thats why i'm here :)

ahh I see. Although, make sure you do some research about the components you buy before you buy them. Pretty much any youtube review of the H100i will mention high overclocking capability from this cooler. In fact Linus, from LinusTechTips uses one of these to for his test bench.

sweet yeah thats mainly why i got one.  

at 1080p your 780 ti is complete overkill. i game with a single 780 and get amazing fps at 1080p. 

my number one suggestion? kill your background processes. all of them. it sounds like something software related is causing you to have FPS issues. uninstall junk from your pc if you've put it on there. 

also, can we get your skyrim mod list? some of the mods out there are just incompatible. load order can be a big issue as well. I had a pesky mod issue that would lock up my skyrim randomly for a second or two and then unfreeze. it was a view distance mod that was having major issues with a water mod i had. 

Skyrim Mod List via nexus mod manager and SKSE

Animals, Creatures, Mounts & Horses

• Convient Horses by Alek
  • Frost Giants in the Cold by David Brasher
  • skyBirds - Airborne Perching Birds by steve40

Armor

• Immersive Armors by Hothtrooper44
  • Warchief Armor by Hothtrooper44
  • aMidianBorn Book of Silence (Armors, Creatures, Dragonborn DLC, Unique Items, and Weapons) by CaBaL

Audio, Sounds & Music

• Audio Overhaul for Skyrim 2 by David Jegutidse
  • Better Weapon Swing Sounds by Crystan
  • Real Arrow SFX by Mindfanatix
  • Smooth blades draw and sheath by Vanaran
  • Sounds of Skyrim (Civilization, The Dungeons, and The Wilds) by Cliffworms

Misc

• Visible Windows by isoku
  • Cloaks of Skyrim by Noodles
  • Duel Combat Realism by Gabriel Maihot as LogRaam
  • Enemy AI OverHaul---Revenge Of the Enemies---No Scripts Version - Revenge of the enemies by MyEvergreenHometown
  • HBE - Hardcore and Rebalanced Experience 5.1.1 by KospY
  • Bandolier - Bags and Pouches 
  • SkyUI
  • A Quality World Map\
  • Unofficial Skyrim Patch, + all the DLC Unofficial Patches

Environmental

• 2K Road Snow Footprints by Yuril
  • Alternative Snow by Yuril
  • Lightning during Thunder Storms - Climates of Tamriel - Patch by Minty
  • Morning Fog by MannyGT
  • Quality SnowFlakes HD V2 by Yuril
  • Real Ice by Yuril
  • Realistic Water Two by isoku
  • TreesHD_Skyrim_Variation by namotep
  • Unique Grasses and Groundcovers - Nature and Landscape Enhancement by Josh Ezzell
  • Superior Rock Textures by skyrimaguas
  • Skyrim Flora Overhaul by vurt
  • Skyrim Distance Overhaul Beta by Grieche

Hair, Face, and Models

• Battle Hardened Warpaints by Diethardt and netherwalk
  • Beards - High Resolution by Hvergelmir
  • Superior Lore-Friendly Hair - HD textures by skyrimaguas
  • The Eyes of Beauty by LogRaam
  • Detailed Faces v2 by Xenius

Immersion

• Camping Kit of the Northern Ranger by The Northern Ranger
  • Open Faced Guard Helmets by ShinGouki