Transition from nVidia GPU to AMD RX 580 Potential hurdles

#helpdesk
Within the next week I’ll be getting a used PowerColor Red Devil RX 580 8GB GPU to install in my system and wanted to prepare for any potential problems.

System:
Ryzen 5 2600
16GB RAM 3000Mhz
B450 Motherboard
Zotac GTX 1050Ti (To be Replaced)

(Also windows 10 partition used for taking proctored exams)

Using ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers for up to date mesa drivers.

Use case for rx 580: Gaming primarily, will not mine with it.
Quesions:
My card was previously used for mining and has a modified bios, I have already found the original bios online and want to be sure it is best for me to restore it to factory.

Is it still the case that mesa drivers are the best choice for gaming on an amd card?

What is the status of FreeSync on linux. I’ve seen a variety of accounts of it working under limited conditions. I have plans on getting a 1440p 144hz to replace one of my 2 monitors in a month or so. I have heard that FreeSync will be added to the kernal in 4.20 but other indications that it kind of can work now. I’d love some clarification.

Thanks for any guidance,

George

The card will be safe. The card might come with a bios switch you could just flip to get you back to stock. Otherwise, its probably just been modified to run quieter, draw less power, etc.

As for freesync, no its not ready. I have 4.20.4 and some of the tooling is set up, but it’s set to rollout once 5.0 lands into stable. Right now it’s in mainline and still WIP.

1 Like