[TR4] High-end dev/gaming rig on a budget

I am currently building a new PC with:

• ASRock Phantom gaming 6
  • TR 2950X
  • Enermax Liqtech 280 II
  • evga GTX1080 FTW
  • Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64
  • Intel 660p SSD
  • half a dozen old school spinning platter (2TB, 6TB)
  • Corsair AX 860i
  • Fractal Design Define R5

I have 32GB DDR4@2133 CL14 HyperX Fury (4x8) (HX421C14FB2K4/32) and now wonder if it is possible to buy the same HyperX Fury as an extra 64GB (4x16) to mix them together and get a stable 96GB system.
The manual states it needs to be the exact same RAM (size, chip, …) in order for it to work correctly.
It would be super nice, if somebody has some technical papers on this or just a good explaination why it should or should not work.

Secondly, I realized that I run rather close to the limit of the PSU with a utilisation of 710/860.
This would suggest that OC is fairly limited at this point in time. For a custom loop I lack the funds at the moment.

1 Like

You should be able to mix them, but will deff have a performance hit (x99 I could dont see why you couldnt here, never checked speed on my x99 rig as its my vm box now and i dont really care about ram performance) I am not sure what kind of hit it will be tho. (Cant test it on my 1950x as i have mATX board so only 4 slots)

Power wise thats will not be fun, if your PSU is older remember you will lose max output over time so if they rated it on the max side might be rough but you have a good gap and i wouldnt worry to much.

I hope that this kind of system will boot up successfully once either of the two GPU arrive. The 1080 is currectly in RMA, due to it spew sparks and smelled rather pertrudent of the magic smoke while it was plugged in into the previous system. I’ll get a new card though.

You could boot and make sure the post code is no gpu

NVM no diag screen