TR 2990WX Programmers Workstation: Linus Torvalds' Edition (sort of)! | Level One Techs

TBH, if you tried the 92mm fan blowing directly on the VRMs, that fan zip tied onto the sleeving for the tubing for the Enermax, with close enough proximity to the VRMs, then removing the 2 fans that came with the Aorus Extreme would work better.

Heck, 3D print a fan bracket for the Enermax cooler since you don’t care about addressable RGB in the Enermax faceplate, make a faceplate replacement with enough structrual rigidity to screw in place of the RGB face plate, then mount the Noctua 92mm fan on there. Due to the 10GBE NIC though, it might require more static pressure to ensure the NIC doesn’t overheat.

I most certainly agree you are at your limits in terms of quiet intake because of the sound dampening foam that comes when you don’t remove the top cover for ventilation.

Also, definitely remove the shroud above the IO cover, because that’s a heat trap for the VRMs despite the 2 fans, which tiny fans + high RPM might make more noise for the system.

Completely agree with the WX7100 for the GPU choice because most of the computation is on the CPU for compiling and CUDA/Tensorflow doesn’t help a SysOps Dev.

One last thing you could try is to make a 3-4 PCI slot fan mount for another intake fan around that area, and I think this can be 3D printed too:

All it needs is a dust filter. You can also modify the design by adding a thin layer of insulating foam to absorb the sound of airflow from the fan.

This might be handy @wendell

https://snapcraft.io/imaginary-teleprompter

I could not stop thinking about this build today and so I built it in PC Building Simulator with the parts I have available.

Unfortunately PC Building Simulator has no Radeon Pro/WX cards. Only the AREZ cards.

1 Like