Torn with Monitor Choices (Still)

I thought I finally found my ideal monitor with the VG27AQ, and now BenQ have their EX2780Q. I was just wondering if some more knowledgeable people than me could tell me more about AAS vs AHVA IPS panels. And the BenQ apparently has 10 bit colour depth? Does it make that much of a difference between 8-bit?

I can’t get over the fact that monitors are still made with seemingly purposefully-made bad decisions. Let’s invest a lot into the speakers. And no full ergonomics… And the thing looks PERFECT!

WTF! Look at the back and how understated and simple and clean it looks. This thing is beautiful.

Is the BenQ worth it for it’s supposedly (on paper) better panel?

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/38d1cf277

10 bit panels are a good idea for professional photo and video editing. In games … doesn’t matter. Since HDR has become a thing there is also so much marketing speech (aka lies) about what is 10 bit or not…

I do have the Asus and that thing is great for games. (and even light photo / video work)

1 Like

Oh the BenQ is 10-bit. Says so on that last link, the actual panel is. My only gripe with it is the stand, more specifically no ergonomics. I’m blown away by that simplistic, understated look. It looks like a work of art. Even better than the ASUS with its stupid ridges and TUF Gaming logo which looks like ass. If the BenQ had pivot and tilt I wouldn’t blink.

It was on sale for $400 CDN a couple of weeks ago. :joy: That’s $300 US. That is hilariously low compared to the original price and for what that thing is.

But yeah, totally, the ASUS can be used for gaming and for design. So you can’t actually tell the difference in games for 10-bit colour depth? So the variations in darkness isn’t more pronounced for 10-bit panels?

Consistently, all across the board, all monitor makers have fuckwits who make dumb decisions. They invest into good built-in audio for the monitor. But nothing for the stand…

Why? WHY? Just like an overly-designed housing. And RGB lights. With proprietary software to control those lights. Why? Fuck if I - or anyone else - knows.

A good 8 bit display is fine for me when it comes to games. Disclaimer: I am playing on linux and HDR doesn’t even exist there. Also I have the Asus on a monitor arm and I don’t care how it looks from the side … I’m not looking at. :man_shrugging:

Looking at the Pixio PX7 Prime, BenQ EX2780Q and VG27AQ.

? :thinking:

The Pixio and BenQ have the exact same panel. Same as the AORUS AD27 whatever it’s called. Supposedly a monitor with quite the reputation. And also quite the immature design team. :rofl:

I’m in Canada, so Boxing Day tends to be a bigger deal over here. Any display freaks out there, please let me know which monitors to look out for on Boxing Day so I can snatch it up really quick before it gets sold out. If there are any special unicorn monitors out there I don’t know about. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I actually didn’t know about the BenQ display until 2 days ago. Surprised me. But just wish they didn’t invest so much into the FUCKING SOUND! Less sound, better stand = Instant win for me. Or objectively, for everyone. It seems monitor design is all about neglecting one part on purpose, to drive people like me crazy.

My wife and I recently purchased VG27AQs so can really only comment on that.

For the price it’s a great display. It’s absolutely awesome for gaming and general use. Is it ideal for photo editing? No. But with calibration it definitely is good enough for most prosumer and semi professional stuff like I do.

Would recommend. The stand is pretty good too.

Yeah, I do like the ergonomics. No ergonomics on the BenQ really grinds my gears. Very irritating. But I couldn’t help but notice the PX7 Prime and BenQ both have the same panel. An AAS IPS panel. Newer IPS tech that’s much faster than traditional IPS.

Someone mistakenly said it’s a “full-on IPS panel, not something like an AHVA”. But AHVA are in fact actual “full-on” IPS. :thinking:

I can’t really comment but the Asus does have extremely quick pixel response time. I’d still go with it

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.