TOR NAT Punching & SSH

So I tried out NewPipe* for the first time today and left it running autoplaying the next recommended video and this video here came up:

I’ve never heard of this concept (though I have heard of TOR) and it sounds like a killer way to securely allow access to my home network over services like SSH or RDP. Does anyone have any experience setting up such an arrangement that can write a tutorial for the community? Or even better, but unlikely due to time constraints, can someone like @wendell make a video about it?

*Also, NewPipe is up for June’s poll here, and trying it out has made me switch from YouTube’s android app. You will not be sorry for checking it out.

1 Like

It is a very interesting app but there are lots they still need to improve. Such as the subscriptions recent uploads.
Once they fix that I will go full time. The play in background feature is great when I’m just listening to essentially a podcast

1 Like

Tor is designed for low latency, but it still adds quite a bit of latency due to the number of hops your traffic must take before it reaches the destination. SSH works OK, but I wouldn’t want to attempt anything like RDP.

Does anyone know how well TOR works with websockets?

Found the answer.

So TOR reuses the active circuit if the connection is still active. So things which use websockets, TOR won’t constantly shift the connections around.

I was using SSH over Tor to have an access to PC behind a NAT.

Long story short: It’s laggy but if you’ll turn on compression it’s nearly as responsive as direct connection.
I also wouldn’t recommend using scp over Tor if you can connect over “normal” internet.

If you want to secure connection and not make it anonymous it’s probably better to use Tox VPN, but on the other hand it’s not even close being a replacement for that use of Tor. (at least not a year ago).