Token's lvl1 blog- edit -- Token's rantings

The debate- kill electronics (likely already dead) and save garage, or let it burn, or $$$$$ on a datacenter type solution.

• option 1, affordable, electronics likely already a lost cause
  • option 2, we have been toying with the idea of a tear-down and 2 story build anyhow
  • option 3, I like to tinker with setups, but the cost is getting to the point of risk acceptance and/or with option 1.
  • bonus round, option 4, inception. Automate detection and possibly some kind of reaction with results from garage labbing (ardiono mini, pii etc [stuff I already have sitting around]) DIY style- results may very.

Meanwhile, my Win10 daily driver laptop has been blue-screening more and more often. I think Linux is in it’s future.

2 Likes

I understand the concern but it is fairly rare for servers to spontaneously burst into flames.

Just don’t use any sketchy molex adapters or similar…

3 Likes

Excactly, will except the risk above X price point. Because of @TimHolus I looked around, I didn’t know there were these affordable extinguisher ‘bombs’ so I might actually get one :wink:

Labing fluids

2 Likes

So zip tieing some ABC powder filled bombs to your server to prevent a 1:1000000 sounds perfectly reasonable.

I think a smokedetector is the better option here.

Yup. I learned today I strongly dislike Gnome.

1 Like

If smart and sends notification to phone so I can 911 and get responders there in time to prevent total loss, imo yes. Otherwise just excepting the risk, I like those odds you posted :wink:

Those bombs have my interest as I do allot of other dumb stuff, I have steam model systems now, modified (turbo) car, fuel for Coleman’s etc, so a little protection against a number of things going on in there. But… My experience with prevention systems in the Navy is 99% of the time false positive trigger and big clean up…

Going with KDE then?

2 Likes

Manjaro KDE, yep.

1 Like

For this imho, these pipes are better. Because they are gas and not powder-based.

These are way quieter and didn’t break the bank

Less flow for sure, but I will monitor. Will also put the old ones to work as high temp triggered exhaust fans if necessary.

2 Likes

Home Depot weather stripping to seal up the connection between intake duct and rack.

2 Likes

So I’m sitting on a number of used 2TB HDDs before setting up the NAS and figured this is a great opportunity to just jump into the HDD forensics pool. Was looking at the tools below:

Any advice from fellow Level1’ers?

I remember hearing a SANs instructor mention they used to get ebay HDDs and get into them for some of the classes but they stopped that process because some things just can’t be unseen.

2 Likes

Always wanted to do that… have fun. Share the dirty secrets.

1 Like

I went with Autopsy because windows and GUI, start out in the shallow part of the pool.

HDD #1, a 1tb from the HP z800 I got from someone. It found a Linux partition (I think I tried proxmox on it way back when) and interesting a bunch of email addresses from the previous owner, but nothing else.

HDD#2 a 2tb I pulled from my FreeNAS I had been running. It could see the zfs format, but nothing else.

HDD#3 one of the 2Tbs I bought from eBay. Critical error, no format detected.

So I guess Autopsy has to be used on a formatted drive? Maybe there is a mode to change. Maybe the eBay vendors do a legit job of wiping. Lots of youtubing of Autopsy to do, very neat software.

• Edit, btw was super weird picking up the HDD after disconnecting it but the platter was still spinning, it was hella gyro stabilized- felt really weird.
3 Likes

1 Like

Specs:
Specifications3.06ghz 12mb Cache 6.4 GT/s Hex Core (X5675)
18x 4gb PC3-10600R Memory
2x 3.5" Trays/Screws
DVD Drive
Perc 6i Raid Controller with Battery
4x Onboard Gigabit Ethernet
2x 870w Power Supplies
iDrac Remote Access (Express Only)

No COA, but where we are going, we don’t need no stinking COA.

Cheap(ish) VGA KVM for the garage. One monitor and keyboard for Nas, hypervisor, DVR, leaving the other monitors just for the laptop.

3 Likes

I have a lot of these. Good value.

1 Like

2 Likes

If you ever need a set of supermicro rails. let me know. I have some extras.

2 Likes

@WolfTech716 I will likely put any self hosting stuff here :wink:

@oO.o thanks, so generous! I’m sitting on a set myself but thanks.

I have wanted to get decent with eventgen and splunk, but OMG did I stumble on another reason to spin up a whole nother splunk box

https://github.com/Cyb3rWard0g/mordor

2 Likes

Fantastic! I will also be expecting SOMETHING about Calibre semi-soon… :grin: