Token's lvl1 blog- edit -- Token's rantings

I have a lot of these. Good value.

1 Like

2 Likes

If you ever need a set of supermicro rails. let me know. I have some extras.

2 Likes

@WolfTech716 I will likely put any self hosting stuff here :wink:

@oO.o thanks, so generous! I’m sitting on a set myself but thanks.

I have wanted to get decent with eventgen and splunk, but OMG did I stumble on another reason to spin up a whole nother splunk box

https://github.com/Cyb3rWard0g/mordor

2 Likes

Fantastic! I will also be expecting SOMETHING about Calibre semi-soon… :grin:

For tracking purposes, will link up related posts in my quest.

1 Like

Nothing much to update, still waiting to get some legit 110 vac and 220vac into the garage to power these.

In the meantime the quieter fans are coming short, I think in part to inefficiency of my install- washers to eat noise causing recirc inefficiency-

See that little bit of light?

So some gaskets

Done

Now to observe internal temps.

3 Likes

thank you for posting this i needed one of these years ago thankfully i was present and put it out but this would be nice to have

1 Like

You can always buy now. There is no joke with fire.

1 Like

When I had a similar config, I ended up running a 6” duct out of it with an in-line fan.

I really want it to be positive pressure, but I might have to rig the faster/louder fans these quiet ones replaced in an exhaust configuration. The idea is to have them on a thermostat.

I keep circling back to kicking myself in the butt for not buying a quiet XrackPro on craigslist. It would have nudged up in a corner right next to the garage’s vent by the ground. Could have rigged up some ducting and bam- sealed, well filtered, cool, ventilated rack- perfect for this use-case. I’m keeping my eyes pealed on craigslist for one of those to pop up again.

Inspected the wall mount rack, spider webs and crud post filter, not cool. Cutting my losses on the project, going legit COTS.

Found this deal locally, came with an APC (love you) 3000 VA. TBD if it works. The L5-30RP took me by surprise.

Surprise!

I impulse bought an adapter on Amazon but the garage wiring is going to get worked on so might as well put in the right receptacle, gauge of wire and designated 30amp breaker.

3 Likes

The plan is to route some of that fresh outside air to the bottom intake filter. (See the light on the left side, that is a vent in the wall)

3 Likes

So the whole bottom is an air filter? How does it exhaust hot air?

1 Like

I’ll get pics of the rear, there are three exhaust fans.

1 Like

Buy a liquid containing 0.03% deltamethrin. Effective for small spiders. Apparently, it also works on ants. Personally, I only tested against spiders.

1 Like

@oO.o

“Ultra quiet” fans, sound deadning and foam trim. Seen these in action at work and they are amazing.

@TimHolus the problem is that they even got in there. It means it will happen again and again, and that my particulate filtration is no where near where it should be, or rather being a possitive pressure system with open vents it just lets critters right in. So doing it right this time, pretty darn well sealed up system with filter I can buy at any big box stores.

Welp teksyndicate z800, you did me well as both a nas and hypervisor, but it’s time to ‘level1’ up. Eh? Ah? See what I did there @wendell ?

1 Like

Can you tell what the oem/model of the fans is?

Seems like they would be underpowered for more than 6-8u of servers (so fine in your case, but maybe a limiting factor if you expand).

Deltamethrin not only kills but also forces spiders to escape. If you buy a good liquid and use a large amount in the right places, you have peace for a few months.
I used this solution not only to eliminate spiders in hard-to-reach places but also as a protection layer that they would not appear again. If the entire surface is well covered, no spider will pass through it alive.

Of course, the filter makes a more reasonable solution. In some situations, a mosquito net is also well-suited.

1 Like

APC seems to be 100% good to go!

2 Likes