Token's lvl1 blog- edit -- Token's rantings

I like those skinny frame adapters but for certain use cases where the 3.5" footprint is required these ice docks are pretty slick

1 Like

Had some white LED strips left over from another project and decided to get stupid.

Now I want rgb so I can have a dim blue hue. Have I watched too much Linus?

FreeNAS 11.2 with the new GUI is teh hotness.

5 Likes

This was fun

2 Likes

Spun up metasploitable and a kali VM. Port scanned, and then used OpenVAS as well. Selected an openssh vuln with no success, then a second service (have to look it up again) and reverse shell as root. I need to do this more often to commit metasploit command line to memory.

Got access to my hass.io from the interwebs by using an old domain I had sitting around and added a panel on my splunk dashboard to monitor traffic on that port. Next I need to setup SSL for hass.io. I’m thinking pfsense’s cert manager would be fine. Will play around with self signed (hass.io says this will not work) and maybe even an openca setup.

1 Like

These arrived today

I seriously have no justification except I want to setup fast block storage from freenas to esxi

6 Likes

So my hassio on a raspi3 crapped the bed while updating. I imagine there is a nifty way to back it up but I’ve been wanting to run hassio as a VM. They do not have an OVA, so spun up a centos7.

Very interesting how home assistant installs on nix, or rather it’s a virtual environment, uses python… I look forward to easy snapshots now and to have things like firewalls and fail2ban being of typical Linux tutorial stock vs the contorted way of doing things inside hass.io

Also, dipping into mqtt finally.

Spent an entire day and ended up combining tutorials and methods to ‘hack’ an Amazon two relay ‘mhcozy’ wifi smart switch to run tasmota

1 Like

I went to log into a webui hosted by a VM and nada. Went to the Vsphere IP/GUI expecting that to be down too but it was up. Went to console into the affected VM thinking I needed to restart the web-service but it was just a black screen. Same for all VMs.

WTF?

Reboot the ESXi host, now VMware will not come back up (after boot it lives in RAM, so a reboot was a death sentence).

Now I go to the server, switch the KVM to the host, reboot- PERC hardware RAID is throwing a fit. Clear the foreign status, a rebuild kicks off. Once done, I can boot into VMware ESXi again… but the datastore is gone…

Frantically searched googled, tons and tons of VMware articles and forum posts that were bad news.

Then I found this one person’s thread and got the datastore remounted, VMs are restored.

I took a screen shot of the tutorial in case this site ever goes down- it was pure gold.

Looked at the logs of one of the VMs, looks to have taken a dump about 5 days ago.

I need to get off my ass and backup my datastore onto the FreeNAS.

5 Likes

Sounds like your Monday was delayed a bit. I’m glad you were able to fix it, and thank you for posting the link!

1 Like

First world problems I guess

But yeah tons and tons of VMware forum threads that didn’t hit the issue, that link saved the day.

3 Likes

I couldn’t get USB devices to show up in VMware Workstation Pro to passthrough into the VMs except strangely just one device a smart card reader.

This tutorial was crucial to restore this capability.
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2043656

3 Likes

I had not been liking A3Sec’s pfSense Splunk extractions. I mean, its better than anything I could do from scratch, but its not supported and was only grabbing chunks of value from the logs.

Found there is a TA (tech add-on) for pfSense logs that is very current, and the props and transforms look amazing- its grabbing all the things/value.

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1527/#/details

So set it up and am currently porting over the nice A3Sec dashboards over to work with the the new data.

Good listing of the value to be extracted from pfsense syslog
https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/monitoring/filter-log-format-for-pfsense-2-2.html

2 Likes

Its no secret I’m a Splunk fanboy. Here is their tracker for COVID

https://covid-19.splunkforgood.com/coronavirus__covid_19_

1 Like

Like the product hate the pricing structure.

2 Likes

I like things if you get what you pay for. Ive paid for workstation pro two times now, the features and ‘it just works’ is worth it. But with Splunk the last series of issues and lack of support really sucks. If I were the shot caller I would make the argument we would be better off (same amount of admins if not a few more) to go with a much more affordable alternative.

My disappointment with enterprise continues to grow. NetApp, ESXi, various third party AD tools. I’ve always thought the price brings a nice mix of ‘it just works’, documentation and/or great support. I’ve been very underwhelmed with what I’ve seen with many vendors so far.

If I can’t get a vmug via work, I’m probably ditching esxi free as well.

2 Likes

Ovirt on centos 8 is close. In beta rn.

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation- first instinct was to google “ovirt vs xcp-ng” haha.

So like distro hopping, I might have type1 hypervisor hopping in my future. #firstworldproblems

3 Likes

I’ve entered the foray of docker:

• Kinda understand the concept and the fanfare
  • I wasn’t strong on nix and terminal commands to begin with, so this introduces another dimension to navigating the file system, users and groups, docker command syntax etc. Its overwhelming. overwhelming = I get very frustrated
  • Installed docker compose
  • used docker compose
  • installed portainer.io

Trying to setup linuxserver/docker-letsencrypt

It has NGINX and letsecnrypt all in one package so that I can serve my home assistant webUI over https and other subdomains.

I’m so over my head I can’t even recall previous steps to try and compose some “idiots guide” to help out others like me that can doggy paddle but get thrown into a pool with Micheal Phelps. And what I mean by idiots guide is I feel there are at least a few other people like me that can benefit from guides being expanded and broken down even more. I find myself googling every line of a person’s tutorial to understand how to do what the tutorial is calling for.

Basically- learn this and make a tutorial like how digital ocean does it so anyone can do this task.

I’m also going over Lawrence Technology Services LTS vid on the acme and HAproxy plugins for pfsense. It might do this job for me vs. this container.

2 Likes

history > whathappened.txt can be helpful

2 Likes

Awesome.

Honestly I should be screen recording to with a mic input too. Trace commands, web-pages referred to etc.

1 Like