Token's lvl1 blog- edit -- Token's rantings

pfsense update seems to have changed the snort log output as well, need to investigate how to fix the field extractions in Splunk.

My TrueNAS mining side gig finally reached .09 XMR getting a payment. I have at the current market value $37.11 USD in XMR LOL. Probably spent more in electricity doing it.

I’m probably on some IRS list now too…

Interesting Snort logs today:

Yes I run wordpress, I like to live dangerously. Its kind of an un-intentional honey pot.

1 Like

Oof

Why Paris, why?

1 Like

Its been about 24 hours since updating TrueNAS 12 to U3, my VM’s NFS storage seems to be currupting, they are all failing to boot with CentOS and Ubuntu different versions of errors that indicate disk drive corruption.

Still digging in right now, but over the years I’ve become more and more anti-update. If its protected behind a NAT and its working, leave it alone.

2 Likes

All my boxes are on last update of 11.3 and will remain there until I get the EOL notification.

1 Like

This.

I’m not updating again until its some type of critical update. I don’t want to bash something that is free, but seeing that they are trying to be in the enterprise gang this issue is a real pain. I can’t imagine what this would do to a large data center.

I’m edging closer and closer to just getting a Synology or UnRaid and being a normy- easy GUI, lots of support.

1 Like

So it wasn’t a chmod fix, or some other nifty command line. Was an ACL GUI (that didn’t work last time, so yay for updates?) to change a read to read/write.

The CentOS VMs recovered without issue. The Ubuntu server one still kept giving write issues. I reverted to an older snapshot and it works again- unfortunately I didn’t have it on a snapshot schedule so I lost a lot of work.

BREAK:

I know people like to run TWO TrueNAS setups because of ZFS replication. But are there any good example of having a hybrid TrueNAS / Synolology (or UnRAID) setup?

I’m thinking that can be made to play nice via rsync and/or syncthings?

I want to migrate away from these old rack mount hair dryers to something small and efficient.

BREAK:

Oh yeah, dumb me I didn’t assign IPs to VMs so they all got new IPs, that was fun. And now my Unifi AP is disconnected from the controller VM + I can’t remember the AP password for the life of me. Fun.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t see why you couldn’t set up an rsync task in a cron job and mirror things that way. I used to do nightly rsync’s of my home directory from the workstations to a synology box after setting up the SSH keys like usual. Should work just the same from truenas.

2 Likes

I do this with rsync and it works but it’s kind of dumb. Synology automatically makes rsync modules for each share but you need to use a password file on the trunas system to use them.

You can probably do this with shh keys. In my case it’s a dedicated 10GbE connection so I don’t want the ssh overhead and encryption is a non-issue.

1 Like

I have to temporarily use a macbook (older intel model) at work and…

I’m getting the bug. I think I get it (the apple fan train). The keyboard, the tracpad, the feel, no fans, solid metal, fit and finish, the OS.

I also have become upset with Andriod/Google. Snap, I might be making the switch???

2 Likes

And here I am having used one for 5 years now (model before the touchbar was a thing) and I don’t see what the fuss is about. I’d exchange it for a similarly specced Linux machine without a second thought.

The one thing Apple has going for it, in my book, is that employers will spend that kind money on a Mac, but not on a decent non-Apple laptop (which likely comes with Windows too, because employers really hate productivity).

1 Like

It’s what I use. Macbook Air is the perfect admin machine as far as I’m concerned. The OS is fine in that I never have to spend a bunch of time fixing anything so long as I stay one release behind. 99% of my time is spent in Brave, Alacritty, Microsoft Remote Desktop, IPMIView and the built-in VNC client. Beyond that it generally stays out of my way which is all I want.

3 Likes

Maybe because I’m coming from a super old Lenovo with Ubuntu and an old Samsung with Win10 I have observed:

• Hot fan output (noise, heat on my leg etc)
  • lame battery life
  • Trac pad calibration. I’ve selected the options that are supposed to ‘filter’ out the palm and thick thumb part of your hand from affecting the mouse/selection while typing. This is crap on my non-mac stuff. The mac trac-pad is super huge, smooth, easy to use and doesn’t get ‘tricked’ when typing and getting my palm all over it.
  • nix’ish but doesn’t require grey-beard nix skills. I’m not a gry-beard, I like having a developed GUI and lots of accurate web documentation. I guess… I DON’T run arch BTW…
  • Because of market size, things like MS Office works great on Mac. With Nix plus what I need to get done, alternates are not going to work (have gotten dinked for formatting bugs when I used libre and conversion). If not for this, I would need to get MS Office in the cloud and be truly platform agnostic, or have a Win VM I remote into just for MS stuff (I’m smart enough yet dumb enough to do it).
  • Assuming the updates are pretty smooth and not slap-in-your-face changes.

If not getting a Mac, I guess System76 comes the closest to having very similar hardware (metal, form etc).

3 Likes

Here are some useful brew packages I install by default:

# Taps
homebrew/cask-fonts

# Packages
alacritty ansible bash htop ipmitool openjdk neofetch neovim perl ruby tcl-tk tmux ykman yubikey-agent rclone speedtest-cli youtube-dl

# Casks (binaries)
brave-browser firefox-esr font-meslo-lg-nerd-font  little-snitch vmware-fusion appcleaner authy carbon-copy-cloner onyx osxfuse qmk-toolbox slack vlc zoom

And IPMIView

Note that lil snitch, vmware fusion and (technically) carbon copy cloner are all paid applications. You can alternatively use native pf, virtualbox and plain rsync.

Also, one thing that does suck about macOS is launchd because it runs on plists which are non-utf-8 xml docs. There is a utility /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy which helps you write them. There’s also a vim plugin to edit them manually. Otherwise, launchd is very similar to systemd.

3 Likes

My MacBook sounds like a mini server when under load. Granted takes a bit more to get loud than most other laptops I’ve used, but I did tend to push my hardware, so yeah, I got to enjoy it relatively often.

Fair enough. OS X works well if you actually need to be mobile (rather than the usual “portable desktop” use case, and battery life is pretty good.

It’s really nice, but I avoid them unless I have no other choice (eg. airports, train stations,…). De gustibus… and all that rot :wink:

Eh, the UI is only so-so imho and still gets in the way too much to my liking, and there’s nothing you can really do about it.

OS X is also incapable of driving an external keyboard properly. Even with external layouts basic stuff like Begin, End, PgUp and PgDown don’t work properly (or at all)

If you don’t need any integration (eg. Sharepoint) or any of the applications that aren’t ported to OS X (like MS Project or Visio) then that’s a fair point (also on of the reasons I got a Mac). Just be aware that Sharepoint integration doesn’t always work quite as well and that Outlook on OS X can’t handle Sharepoint calendars at all.

(And Skype on OS X barely works, even compared to Skype on Windows)

Apple knows best how you should use your PC so defaults can, and will, change in upgrades. The dock is still broken (in my book) on multi-monitor setups, and has been since the Catalina upgrade a few years ago.

The upgrade process itself was also extremely slow for me on both occasions. Since Big Sur they basically just dump an image to your PC, think I needed almost 50GB of free space for the Big Sur upgrade, on a 256GiB SSD… That was fun (not).

Compounding the upgrade woes is that OS X is notably bad at having extremely large hidden temp directories all over, so cleaning that all that out was painful. Then the upgrade itself took forever and a day.

I thought you were team zsh? :wink:

How does alacritty compare to iTerm?

If using Java for development you might also want jenv to manage different JDKs.

How does Carbon Copy Cloner compare to the default backup software?

3 Likes

Zsh is the default shell now and it’s reasonably up to date so I don’t install the home brew one.

There’s some learning curve to configuring it but neovim + tmux + 4K in Apple Terminal and iTerm has a serious performance issue (on my Air at least). Also, my conf file is completely portable between OS’s. Identical experience in Linux.

Yeah, in my case it’s only for ipmiview.

Not comparable really. CCC is mostly a schedule-able rsync wrapper. It’s easier to deal with than launchd and if you need to do something in a way a normal person can understand it’s the way to go (“look you can tell it’s done because the progress bar is full”).

Time machine is a system snapshot backup that can also install, clone or restore the system. The backup includes install media so you can boot into the backup disk and restore/clone the entire system snapshot or install the bare OS and then pull whatever files manually. If you back up to an HFS+ drive, the “snapshots” are actually just a bunch of hard links but if you backup to an APFS drive, it has real snapshots iirc.

3 Likes

Good points I needed to hear before making a decision.

1 Like

Really burning out on TrueNAS.

Replacing a disk and during resilvering it just crashed- the machine is on, it responds to ping, but the webGUI is down, SSH is down. Manual reboot was required.

I see there is an update available. I’m 2 for 2 that updates nuke my NFS permissions and therefore my VMs. Half of me wants to update hoping it addresses some bugs, the other half doesn’t want the guaranteed issues and trouble shooting that will come with an update.

I said it before, I don’t want to knock a free product, but iXsystems, seriously, if you are trying to break into the enterprise and take on the likes of NetApp, ESXi vsan etc… jeez, facepalm. The uptime of my storage and VMs based off of it are cringe.

I’m over here wanting to take “a step back” and use HDDs with the hardware RAID on teh hypervisor. And I just put a Synology DS1621+ in my Amazon wish list.

2 Likes

Have been reconsidering my choice of TrueNAS as well. Scale seems like it might be nice, but right now I’m just (ab)using Proxmox for my NAS (used to be VM host), might just replace that with a plain Debian install and then manage it through Ansible.

The TrueNAS UI is fancy and all, but it just making re-applying configuration in case of an issue so much more of a pain. I already “require” text based config for my other important items (WM, editor, …) so might as well go down that path for the entire system.

Personally I’d rank Synology well below TrueNAS on the totem pole though, then again, friend of mine lost his array due to a mysterious hardware failure so there’s that bias. That and that sooner or later they stop providing updates, which, since I like to run my hardware until it’s no longer economical (power bill :wink: ), or it dies, is a pretty big negative.

2 Likes

Yeah they always break the VMs/Jails it seems. I like TrueNas otherwise so its a good backup appliance or just NAS asking it to do more is not a good exp. I am hoping Scale will be better and there is a new release tomorrow I might try.

2 Likes