Today's Magic, Tomorrow's Science

As most of you are aware, the Higgs Boson particle was discovered at CERN's labs recently. With this discovery comes more speculation from the science community as to thoughts on possibilities concerning this particle. One such speculation that peaked my interest was that it may be possible to remove the Higgs Boson particle, sort of "un-massing" them by switching off the particle and travelling at faster then light speeds in space, or even using such technology to easily send heavy objects into space.

Of course, some peoples reaction to such speculation whether this or other far fetched ideas (elevator into space for example) is met with laughter. I personally believe that such possibilities will be achievable through science one day.

Its sad that after CERN's discovery, past discoveries and inventions (the internet!!! yes CERN was responsible for the internet) science is still short on funding and needs to go to private companies to back such tasks.

I'd like to finish this article with a qoute from an author I enjoy, as well as some links underneath, one of which referencing CERN's discovery. The other CERN's wiki page for more interesting reading.

"If by some miracle, a prophet could describe the future, exactly as it was going to take place, his predictions would sound so absurd, so farfetched, that everyone would laugh. This has proved to be true in the past, and it will undoubtedly be true in the future."

-Arthur C Clarke

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/07/05/higgs-boson-find-could-make-light-speed-travel-possible-scientists-hope/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CERN

Written by Brett

Science is insanely awesome. We've created structures of metal that can float or fly or speed across the ground at 700+ mph...plus we have the internet (as you mentioned, we should thank CERN, which I totally didn't know about)...plus we have so much more craziness, more each day.

I can't wait to see what science figures out next.  I wish I had more than just a layman's understanding of the Higgs Boson...