To Windows 8, or to not Windows 8?

On episodes of The Tek I see Logan uses Windows 8. Apparently, if you use StartIsBack, Windows 8 is just Windows 7 with a few improvements. Is this true? I'm thinking about upgrading but I'm still on the fence because I don't know if the programs I use (listed below) will work. Is it even worth the upgrade?

I use :

• Steam and its games
  • DisplayFusion 5.1 for dual monitors
  • Photoshop CS6
  • Sublime Text 2 for programming
  • I run a local Apache server for web testing
  • I have PHP and Ruby installed
  • Filezilla for FTP uploads
  • Rainmeter
  • Sony Vegas 12
  • Teamviewer
  • Precision X for overclocking (EVGA GTX 660 SC)

I use these programs very often and if anyone has Windows 8 and know if some of these work, let me know.

There's no point in upgrading a working installation of 7 to 8 unless you really want new UI appearance. 

Windows 8 is completely backwards compatible with 7, except for programs that make changes to system files like uxtheme patcher. 

I know I'm going to get abused for this but here goes: Windows 8 + S.I.B - MetroUI = the best Windows to date.

So Yes, Upgrade. Although, don't upgrade and rather start from scratch. Forget the stupid "metro" nonsense and use it just like you use Windows 7. Use StartIsBack to disable charms, the ModUI, any MetroApps and the Hot Corners and you'll be good to go. I've got two identical laptops, one running W7 and another running W8, and I always seem to grab the Windows 8 one when I head out the door.

Looking through your list of uses, I see no issues for those and most of the early bugs surrounding drivers etc.. have been worked out. If you're concerned, take a full system image and it'll be an easy restore if you are not enjoying it.

Okay, bring on the hate mail :/

Actually so far, win 8 is pretty good.Only, if you get start is back and lock that metro crap down and dont use it. I am having weird issues with multi monitor set up and metro popping up and locking in the metro ui on one screen or the other. But that maybe some setting i havent looked at yet. Win 8 is a smoother, faster . Just stay away from the metro ui and you will like it.

If you are on windows 7 I see no need to upgrade. But if you make a new build obviously go 8.