To go mirror-less or not

when I travel I get about 500 photos a day and when I`m at home it really differs. Couple of times a week.

I just found that I dont want to carry 5 lenses in my shoulder bag when Im walking around a city or climb a mountain. I just need something with good reach, wide angle and something sharp and with nice bokeh.

1 Like

so I am seriously considering buying the Fuji X-T1 here on my holiday in Cape Town since it costs only 700€ after getting the tax back at the airport. In Germany it costs 400€ more.....

So how is the lens selection for that X-Mount? Do you have experience with the Metabones adaptor?
It looks like there aren`t many lenses and that they are quite expensive....(compared to my 50mm 1.8 Nikon)
I mean, even the primes cost around twice what the nifty fifty costs as far as I could tell

The lens selection is, in my opinion, the best of any camera system. There is so much variety. And you can always adjust the aperture on the lens itself. I have the 16mm f/1.4, 23mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4, 60mm f/2.4, 18-55mm f/2.8-4, and some vintage Minolta lenses. It all fits nicely in my Topo Designs mountain briefcase I just got which I am working on reviewing with pics and such. They are all small and all metal. The 60mm lens has a huge all metal hood. So well made. Don't get me wrong tho. I owned the Ziess 55mm f/1.8 before this for the Sony A7R and that thing was made very very well too. The fuji Lenses are a bit more funcional tho. With physical switches and aperture rings.

Also, about the price. You're looking at the wrong lenses. You gotta keep in mind the crop factor on the X-T1 is 1.5x. So the equivalent to 50mm on full frame is the Fuji 35mm. which you can find used for like $200. It's one of the cheapest lenses. It's also f/1.4 and not 1.8. even tho They might be about the same as far as actual depth of field. There's a whole big thing about lenses and their actual f stop. The Fuji 56mm that is $1000 is equivalant to an 85mm on full frame.

ok, that was a quick answer^^
how about older fuji lenses? Are they manual focus only?

Fujis lens selection is smaller, certainly, compared to Nikon and Canon, but it is sufficiently wide for me. Adapters are a must have if you're migrating since fuji lenses are comparatively more expensive.

I got an X-pro1 as a gift and it is my first mirrorless.. I can say I'm pretty impressed overall. The interface is not convoluted and the firmware has been updated enough times to remove the serious flaws most people havee been complaining about. The sensor is, of course, great.

As soon as i got it I, the first thing I did was I made a table which I use to estimate roughly how much I would pay for a certain item in my country (but the prices are taken from the websites - bhphoto, amazon, photodioxpro... as they were, near the end of 2015).

heres the list, hope it helps somehow...

EDIT:
I forgot to mention,
Buy at least two more batteries if you plan on using it a lot !!

I'm not sure about older lenses. I've only recently been seriously following Fuji. I don't have any camera stores around either. I'm also not sure about pricing in difference countries. Also, a good lens set-up that I've seen other people use might be perfect for you too. Depending on pricing. Either the 10-24mm f/4 or the 16-55mm f/2.8 and the 35mm f/1.4. Depending on how wide you need. 16 is plenty wide enough for me. So that's pretty much just 2 lenses that cover from 16-55 and also a small light prime. That 16-55 is pricey tho. There is the "kit" 18-55 f/2.8-4 which I have. I use it as a walk around lens if I don't want to carry any bag at all. It's a great great option too. And you can find in the US for around $250 used in good condition.

I'm using the 35mm 1.4 that I got with the body. It's very good glass-wise but the autofocus is "seeking" a bit slower than I would like it... If you don't shoot under really low light then the 35mm 2.0 WR is better. It's cheaper, weather resistant and some say its equipped with better glass. Haven't tried it though.

I think the kit would be fine for me. I do city and street photography most of the time and are mostly happy with the quality I get from my rather shitty Tamron 18-200. I am always one to take better pictures via composition and lighting rather than using better equipment.

Ill let you know when or if I got the Fuji. It mostly is about that I want a camera I can love. I m happy with what my Nikon D5000 does, but I dont love it. Even tho its my first real camera I woundt really miss it if it got stolen.

Gotcha, I mean, I got my GF an X-E1 for christmas and damn does that thing work wonders for its price. I traded my Canon Sigma 50mm f1.4 for it (~$320 worth). You might also be just fine with the X-T10. It's all depending on what you shoot and where you shoot. Go thru your photos and see what focal length you used all the time. Invest in better glass in those focal ranges unless you need the speed of a zoom. Some people only shoot street with a ~35mm. So the Fuji X100 series is perfect for them. I don't shoot street so it's hard to really recommend anything. Got a link to your portfolio?

I've seen a lot of people have this problem. I think they just wear out kind of easily. It pretty much like the Canon 50mm 1.4 or the nikon equivalent to that. not quite nifty 50 (plastic fantastic) level of quality. It's a little bit better than that. but not high end either. My 35mm luckily doesn't suffer from anything atm even tho I got it used.

By now I almost exclusively shoot the 18-200 3.5-5.6 just for convenience. (18-200 on crop sensor)
Most of the time Id actually like to have something wider for landscapes. For Everything else a real 35mm prime and then a tele zoom lens. As I said, I am not an equipment fanatic. And for most situations on the street you don`t have a second to change your lens. And I dont mind cropping in post.

I dont have a Portfolio with a wide variety of my images or ones with metadata. But here is the link to the album of my South Africa holiday I am currently on. I still have to go through about 3000 images from today and a couple hundred from 2 days ago. I shot a lot of animals today and some panoramas, that`s why its almost 3000 images.

https://lightroom.adobe.com/shares/84c4cd3eab0743a6bc3eca6cdbc788b1

Very nice collection you have there. I didn't know you could do that share thing with lightroom like that. It's nice looking. Also yea, I end up mostly using my 16mm or 60mm. I usually have time so I'm perfectly okay with primes.

Its quite easy to do. Just right-click on the collection, and then on Lighroom mobile-links. I do not like that it does not maintain the correct order tho. Apart from that it`s great. I send a link to my friends and they can keep up with my holiday.

I really like primes for landscapes and street. They are just so sharp. And in the street I mostly shoot from the hip and crop in post so people dont notice ;)

Just the other day I took some images of a couple sitting at a cafe as the guy turned around and asked me if I was taking pictures of them. I was like no, the camera is making noises because of the image sensor cleaning and such^^

I just prefer taking pictures of people withou asking them, so that the shots are candid.

I prefer shooting landscpaes and animals because they dont complain, but people make jsut such interesting subjects....its a pitty

So yeah, that happened^^
fresh out of the box. Battery is charging. Anxious to take the first photos with it.

3 Likes

Congrats, may it serve you well!

Cheers :D