Tmux or Screen Alternative for Powershell?

I use tmux for all my linux installations when sshing in to allow programs to keep running even if I get disconnected. Is there a utility for windows powershell that does the same thing?

1 Like

Let me get this straight. You want to ssh into a Windows installation, you get a powershell prompt and you want it to keep doing its thing even after you disconnect or lose connection from / to the windows box, just like you would use Screen.

If what I understand is correct, then this may help:

about_remote_jobs

From the about_remote_jobs, you probably want “detached process” (look this up on the site), you would use Invoke-Command

2 Likes

SSH isn’t allowing me to use invoke-command. i will look into it further.

Are you using cmd or powershell as your shell? Invoke-Command is powershell only.

Powershell

Make sure that your system allows WMI and also make sure that your machine allows remote IPC.

Also, are you using the MS built in version of SSH or are you running openssh or libressh server on the MS Windows box?

Wrong reply, bruh.
:thonk:
@Argone

My bad. Thanks for the mention.

1 Like

At present I’m using OpenSSH.

You would need to use the version of ssh shipped with MS Windows to use the Invoke-Command feature I believe. Powershell has to load its libraries and and the CLR in order for it to run commands. I would imagine that the OpenSSH application is not authorized to run with such rights. I don’t know if MS ever finished their application whitelist/ACL mechanism since they have created Windows Terminal.

2 Likes

Yea I am not too frustrated with openssh. Just cmdlets dont work. But besides that I can do what I want with it. Other than not letting a shell run when connection is terminated like with linux and tmux or screen.

Just curious, how did you install OpenSSH server? Did you use PowerShell commands to do it, or you installed something else, like cygwin or something?

I remember following this doc and AFAIR, powershell commands worked:

But I could be wrong (my memory is not the most reliable thing).

Stuff like net, copy, move, del, work it is cmdlets that don’t work.