Titan V or 3080?

(Please Remove this thread due to wanting account deleted)

Are you having issues with your current GPU?

I would guess prices are going to suck for some time, but if you dont mind trying to score one and are good with the price id just keep looking, longer you wait the better pref/gbp you should get (historically not right now)

If you can flip your card to cover like 95% of the costs of the V might as well for a stop gap till you can find a 3080/3080ti on the market

A Titan V for 350GBP is a no-brainer. Good luck with finding a 3080 at non-scalper prices.

I’d kill for a Titan V for my compute jobs. Who cares about gaming. The FP64 is bonkers on the Titan V.

The 3080 is only 35% better in relative performance compared to the Titan V.
Techpowerup gpu database - Titan V

WHAT!?
TITAN V FOR £350!? Mate if you won’t buy that, then I fricking will. Like honestly, TAKE MY MONEY!

why? – Because it’s essentially 2080ti levels of performance with an actual sane amount of VRAM (12GB), with the only downside being a lack of RTX support, which is really a moot point anyway, as by the time RT becomes ubiquitous, any 2080ti or 3080 will be crap in performance.

For gaming my big question would be does the titan support dx12 ultimate feature set?

Because if not…. Holy shit there are HUGE performance gains on the horizon for cards that do via variable rate shading and mesh shaders.

Low end card supporting dx12 ultimate will long term obliterate anything high end that doesn’t support those features (they require supporting hardware. Big Navi or 20 series on NVIDIA iirc).

Extreme case, but in 3dmark mesh shaders are worth up to 10x performance (yes, not percent. 40 fps to 400-600 fps improvement on that benchmark) and variable rate shading +70% on my 6900xt with those features on vs off. Real world I’d suggest the mesh shaders won’t win 10x or anywhere close regularly (depends how much geometry overlaps and can be culled) but even if it’s 2-3x that’s the difference between top end and low end for prior GPU generations. Or multiple generational leaps.

Once this stuff is used… well let’s just say that’s likely how the Xbox X, S and ps5 are going to do amazing things with (on paper only looking at SM/CU/ROP count) relatively shitty looking hardware vs pc specs.

Not saying don’t buy a cheap titan. But definitely worth keeping in mind if you’re looking for a new GPU for medium to long term use - definitely shoot for something with those features for the future.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.