Tips on improving usb dection (time until available to OS) of devices (mouse/keyboard) when using usb switch

I’ve used two usb switches. Both exhibit the same issue. Actually i dont think it’s an issue with the switches at all. It just takes linux longer to detect the devices and make them available.

The depressing part is that windows 11 does this more or less immediately. But Linux (F36) does this in 2-3 seconds. Using KDE with wayland in case that matters.

The only thing ive found is an option to reduce a delay in regards to usb storage.

Either way. Anyone has any tips to improve the time it takes for the mouse and keyboard to become available?

It is in the bios! Then the bios sends the OS the stuff that that is connected to the USB. Unless you have a motherboard that is really old!

Both motherboards are 1-2 years old. Both ryzen. But i’ll go poking and see what i find. I didnt think to look at it from that perspective. I sort of forget that its actually two different pcs.

Hm. All I can do is to toggle “xhci hand-off” but it doesnt affect anything. Shame.

Depending on how the switch does it (physical or logically), the OS may interpret the sudden connection loss and switchover as a fault and time out the USB ports for a moment.

Well ive had two switches. Mainly changed due to the fact that i wanted to go from a button on a wire to just a nub on the device itself. Both of them acted the same way on the machines. Granted it may be a hardware thing. But… On the surface it looks like windows picks up the devices in a few 100s of miliseconds vs. linux that does it in 2-3 seconds.

I have two data points for you.

1. I have the same issue but with VMs with passthrough PCIE USB devices. So it might not be a slow bios? I don’t know enough about BIOS/UEFI vs CPU speed to say so.
  2. In the VM, after reconnecting and before the delay, I see the syslog messages for the disconnecting usb devices after (timestamped after not just appearing after) the new device connection messages for the same devices. If that’s happening for you that might be a good place to investigate.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.