Tiny PC Project Build: Z270 ITX And LCD in a PC Q30 | Level One Techs

Also @wendell I need to thank you for inspiring me and others to do these type of projects. I still remember watching the first video you made with the iPad screen loving the idea of modifying an Apple LCD to the do the bidding of the PC. Thanks for doing what you do and keep up the awesome projects :) So for anyone out there who wants to do these kinds of projects just remember...

3 Likes

@wendell I have an old japanese SFX PSU, that have only run a few hours. I don't remember the brand or wattage. What minimum wattage would you require for a GPU?

I'll mail it to you if it is soutable.

/RedGreenGeek

3 Likes

Probably like 450w+ for a 1050/1060 plus the crazy oc

Agreed. Hell, the current crop of iGPUs are good for what they are. You can average upwards of 30 FPS on Fallout 4 and GTA V with an HD 530, granted at 720p low to medium (dem jaggies).

If you're going that route you might want to try and find one of the low profile 1050s or 1050tis.

Although I still vote for custom loop with a 480, just might need to drill some holes and make the tubing external, should make it look like bane or something

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11094/galax-adds-lowprofile-geforce-gtx-10501050-ti-oc-lp-graphics-cards-to-lineup

And actually MSI just announced a low profile RX 460 that'll probably be available in the US

2 Likes

After watching this I started to wonder if there were any lower profile coolers that might be better suited for such a SFF build. I myself am building a new PC in a DanCase A4 ( super tiny SFF case) and really got a lot out of watching you go over LGA 2011/ 2011 narrow/ 115x options and that got me to thinking. I don't have my Fatal1ty Z270 but exactly how hard would it be to convert a 2011 CPU cooler to a 115x?

After some exhaustive research I've turned this much up so far:

This person was able to just gerry rig the R15 from Dynatron (a 150W vapor chamber cooler) with just some screws.

Now looking at the Z270 from pictures I was thinking it might even be possible to get the T318 (165W Narrow 2011) on a 115x socket as it looks like the board would be able to accommodate the 106mm x 82mm footprint. Basically I was thinking of either buying or fabricating something like this bracket but instead of it shrinking the 56mm x 95mm to 80mm x 80mm I would shrink it to 75mm x 75mm, pop some countersunk screws in the bracket and tighten it down from the bottom with washers.The person who got the R15 to work mentioned later that if capacitors or other components were in the way it could be possible to just shim the block up with copper shims.

Hope fully this doesn't sound to convaluted but I'm trying to build in a super low profile situation with a very hot chip. From what I can tell this would be WAY better temps than any of the current low profile options on 115x like the C7 or the LP53 cooler.

I'd love to hear any thoughts/improvements/criticisms on my idea. Or if anyone has a Z270 Fatal1ty and could tell me if there is something I'm not seeing that would make this now a good idea.