Tinfoil hat theory about old Apple devices

So first: yes, this is tinfoil hat, and yes i have an apple device. I got it back when the Android OS sucked. (2.1-4.0 (I love 4.4 though!))
So i have an iPod 5th Gen, and ever since the new iPod came out (Along with the OS update) It has been acting up. I mean lag when just in the menu, crashes when in web browsing, and worse than usual gaming when i have had the game running smooth before hand.
So what if Apple is releasing updates that cripple older devices, to push people to get the new ones? I know this is possible, but i am wondering if they are doing it, so do any others similar experiences?

1 Like

I had a old apple iphone. Every update makes the UI slower. I feel like they are getting smart like windows now and really just making older iphones obsolete with the endless app update. Almost feel like if you have a old phone don't ever update the software or apps. Just reset/restore the phone ehwn it slows down and don't update i feel. Andriod is getting the same treatment nowadays too so you can't escape.

3 Likes

I think it's more that iOS is getting heavier and harder to run since they keep adding more and more features every time there is a major update. Couple that with the already gimped iDevice hardware, and things start to slow down real quick.

I noticed the performance decrease like you said with iOS 8 and iOS 9 on my iPhone 5. iOS 8 wasn't too bad, but iOS 9 really hampered it.

3 Likes

Well, maybe this isn't tinfoil hat after all....
I don't have enough experience with Android to know, but i could definitely see Microsoft doing that too.

Man 9.2 was the worst!

Yeah, I happened to get a Moto G right as 9.2 was coming out so I luckily missed some of it, but it did get pretty clunky real quick with iOS 9.

Having said that, it's still a decent device for music and pictures and whatnot.

True, it is great for music and pictures, but its the only mobile gaming device i have.

Yes they are doing it, and I think there's people talking about this very issue in a class action lawsuit.

An issue eerily similar is called "planned obsolescence". If you don't know what it is, please watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTdseBKbWAE

tldw - "nothing produced can be allowed to maintain a lifespan longer than what can be endured in order to continue cyclical consumption."

This is forced obsolescence, which is illegal. If apple were to go into your house and tinker with your stuff to make it work not as good, that's basically infringing on property rights.

2 Likes

Wow, well i guess it isn't tinfoil hat.
Im gonna get a nexus asap

How could this be! Apple isnt nvidia, or are they?
In all seriousness I have an older ipod that is unbearable to use the ui is so slow. brother had a iphone 5 and updated, ridiculously slower. Ill make a bet it's a combination between them adding new stuff to the os, not bothering to optimize it for older devices, and purposefully crippling them

I think they might be overwriting your drivers / programming interface for the phone for the new hardware that they have. If they would've just kept alone all drivers for the physical addresses that match a certain range for the device, then they could've avoided this issue entirely. Instead, they probably had overwritten it, not caring, or thinking about it advantageously, which isn't at all insincere, right?

I wonder if jailbreaking it would help?

You can do a recovery by holding the center button and power for like 10 seconds. The problem would be downgrading your ios version based on your version of itunes. If you have a pre-downlkoaded version of IOS on your itunes, I believe you'd have install an old version of Itunes and then format your phone. I know you can try Jailbreaking it, but just try doing a forced hardware reset. Google is your friend.

This is real, no tinfoil needed.
I know this from pumps similar to this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kEZl_eK8Ws
Sure this happens to electronics aswell. Because high quality stuff is expenisve. Proxxon is an awsome company making tools. They are pricy but you can screw stuff into the wall without making scrwes out of your screwdriver!

Why is this tin foil? This is just software that is evolving, being ran on hardware that isn't current anymore. The hardware is not getting any faster, because it hasn't be physically changed or upgraded. But the software gets more complex and harder to run, so in turn the hardware cannot run it as well as software that is more basic and easy to run. Whats the mystery?

After one new device? And remember this is Apple, it's not like anything they do is actually new.

I mean the hardware on the 6s is actually a big jump from the previous generations. The processor is legitimately much faster then before, and the storage is thought to be NVMe as it is just a huge jump from everything else thats being put in phones, http://www.anandtech.com/show/9662/iphone-6s-and-iphone-6s-plus-preliminary-results

1 Like

While I don't think they're directly and intentionally doing this, they are doing it.

its most likely they design new iOS with new device in mind, and give few and fewer shits optimizing as they go down the device chain (newest to oldest) meaing that the older devices don't get any optimizations and apple stops right after they get it running on it.

so while they're not directly gimping it, they're intentionally gimping it by negligence.

It might not even be intentional since apple hires pasting eating monkeys for software engineers.

I think they are fully aware of what they are doing, but i could be wrong.
I mean its not like my device is THAT old.

I've recently switched to an iPhone because it's a work phone, but we pay for it so we're also allowed to use it as a personal phone. It is optional too, so we don't have to get it, but I switched because the data plan is insanely cheap. So I cancelled my Sprint plan (with an LG G4, unlimited data, but crap service about 50% of the time) and now I'm only using my work/personal phone (iPhone 6 through AT&T, much cheaper, much better service quality, very high data cap).

The other reason I switched, and the reason I'm replying, is because ever since the most recent Android update my G4 was running noticeably slower than it was when I bought it. I've only had it since July or August, so ~5 months, and I'm already having issues. It's not really noticeable in the home screen or doing simple things. But when I first got the phone it ran all my games flawlessly, but for whatever reason has started lagging a lot in-game.

My dad had the same issue with one of the Android updates on his LG G3.

As much as I hate Apple, they make a great product, and I'm fine using them for work because I don't actually pay for them. I pay for the phone service, and they also supplied me with a 2012 MBP. I have to return it of course, but I'm fine with that because I really don't care for OSX anyways.