Tin-foil hat time - signal outside the known

I have a theory that there could be another network that's low level enough that it's escaped attention.

Our network cards carry all of that wonderful data and we can manage/shape/firewall it. What if there was a second signal running on the same wires/hardware that was at a different "frequency" (I'm just wearing a tin-foil hat, don't blame me for bad terminology)? I guess it could be detected via the use of an oscilloscope or similar ...

Could there be any weight to this theory? Is there anything historically interesting in this area?

P.S. I don't actually believe this, but the idea does entertain me.

yes, a wire can carry 2 signals

no, there isn't some sort of secret ūnter-net

3 Likes

Such network would require some crazy conspiracy between hardware manufacturers. Separate switching and routing layers, not to mention frequency splitters on every port of every device ever made? Someone would notice. =)

3 Likes

So what you've basically described is QAM. Which is in use by you if your internet comes over coax (RG6 or RG11) cables.

Or any DSL, DOCSIS, SDH/SONET, DWDM and whatnot. Hell, even SMS works over some sort of technical channel, separate from the voice transmission, iirc. But there's no worldwide "hidden net" there.

while likely existing, more interesting are agency cars able to pick up radiation from cpu wirelessly. Control, steal data in-process.

My understanding is: this is a thing. Depending on the distance and what part of the computer you want to "listen to". I've heard of systems able to listen to the signal switching of keyboards and screens. I would assume its possible to snoop on a high speed bus. Less of a car and more of a van though. Specifically an anonymous robbery van sitting outside your house, but totally not obvious.

How do we know you aren't a member of said unter-net, and one of your tenets is to maintain the secrecy of said unter-net?

tinfoil hat explodes

6 Likes

when you realize, tinfoil hat actually is useless against waves that would be used to control or snoop on human brain.

That's what they want you to think

3 Likes

who's 'they', are you referring to Sith Empire?

I've said too much already

2 Likes

I'm sending a squad to your location now. Order 66 was initiated.

2 Likes

if anything, it would amplify the signal.

Illuminaté confirmed!!1!!!

1 Like

All networking is just a bunch of standards which have been agreed upon.
Wireless communication have a near unlimited frequency span to position it self up, but a frequency has to be agreed upon, else it wont be doable.
connect two computers with a wire, and write your own protocol, and voila, no one can listen.
Heck connect two tin cans with a wire, and you can communicate, aslong as you both speak the same language, and no one could listen in.
Basically if you and your buddy sit down and make your own standard, no one would be able to listen in on it. But as for any communication sender, and reciever have to agree on a standard.
But yea im in on the illuminate confirmed bandwagon ;)

well now you're just being silly.

[DISINFO INTENSIFIES]

2 Likes

Scribbling notes for book

This going to be a best seller

2 Likes

inb4 the premise ends up in my tech cringe thread

3 Likes

ofttimes they actually amplify RF inside your cranial cavity, too. they're essentially a parabolic reflector, bouncing signals many more times in the dome under them (your skull) than would normally be conducted via bone

2 Likes