Timing to buy xbox one x

Hello level1’ers, I have (at the moment) only one reason to think about getting this particular console- I want to play various Halo games from time to time (looking to get the Master Chief Collection).

TLDR version, looking to find the best timing to pull the trigger on an Xbox to play all ranges of the Halo game. Looks like I might have already missed that window…

I do not follow console news at all, and am afraid of what I google (like Tom’s Hardware’s latest article to “just buy” the 20xx GPUs). When would be a good time to get a good deal?

Or should I wait for a new generation? Or would this be bad because the new gen would likely not be backwards compatible with the games I intend on playing (Master Chief Collection and some other Halo)?

When would be the good timing to buy an xbox one x? I’m looking at the X over the S in hopes the X is more future proof for when they make newer Halo games.

Did I already miss the train? Looking at Amazon there is an xbox one S 500gb with master chief bundle going for an all time high (using The Camalizer to see older pricing). Almost the same for a oneX non-bundle (then just buy the bundle separately).

Pre-Black Friday sales are just around the corner. Can’t really say if it’ll be better to get current gen or wait for next, but everything becomes obsolete sooner or later.
edit - looks like current rumors place the next gen release not sooner than 2020… subject to change without notice.

2 Likes

Last year there were some really good deals around Black Friday for the One S, and a few discounts on the One X. Unless you plan to buy a 4k/HDR TV there probably isn’t a huge amount to be gained having the One X, but there is still an advantage as frame-rates are more stable with fewer dips and textures etc. in some games are still enhanced. There are some comparison vids on Youtube which will help you decide.

The One S in my house mostly gets used for media streaming and a few multiplayer games with the kids. It’s a good piece of kit for the money I paid (I got it on promotion from the MS store with extra controller, and games pack for approx £220 shortly after they launched).

2 Likes

A few years ago I got the One S on Black Friday (well, Amazon’s whatever sale) with the GoW collection + second controller for like 280 total, that was a pretty good deal.

Black Friday and Christmas are always somewhat good.deals, but remember that prices usually go up before that to make it look like a good deal.

So follow prices for a bit (there’s probably websites that track that) before you go all in.

1 Like

So, I’m just devil’s advocating about similar offerings GPU wise on PC:

There’s a rumor going around that there’s going to be a “Polaris 30” GPU before the end of the year, with Navi pushed to next year.

If this does indeed mean a new RX non-Vega GPU, the high end of the non-Vega cards would finally be able to match and exceed the Xbox One X in terms of raw performance. The Xbox One X is afterall a custom RX 590. And Polaris should be more friendly to the current Mesa than Vega is.

That’s not going to do much if you wanna play Halo.

1 Like

Thanks all for the replies- we are pretty close to the holidays and seeing that I’m not in a rush, I’ll wait and keep my eyes on the Amazon camilizer to track on pricing.

@FurryJackman I am confused, is this in regards to GPU development that would spill into console and affect Xbox pricing? This post is in regards to Halo, if they ported Halo to PC I’d be more than happy to stay PC master race and use a GPU, but this post is in regards to buying hardware at a prime time to serve the purpose of being able to play the Halo line-up.

I’m not actually sure about that though, is halo not cross-platform for Xbox?

There’s a slight chance Halo could be ported to Windows Store UWP. If it was ever ported, you can’t get it outside of the MS store in Windows 10, like Sea of Thieves.

I think they have not, I think there is only one Halo game available on PC, and its a hack at that.

yes and no. old titles no and new titles since the one x most likely will be on windows 10 and xbox .

1 is a yes 2 is a no ( multi is a playable but a hack)

Damn first world problems haha

But the Master Chief Collection is XBOne only, and that’s what he was referring to. Not sure about compatibility though.

that is correct but some of the standalone titles are able to be played on 10 with streaming ( excluding halo 1 and 2 as they have been around for a while now on PC) rest not so much

Not gonna comment on when to buy what, just gonna share my experience with xbox:
I’m a Halo fan since the CE in 2001, and I really wanted to play Master Chief Collection, when it was released. I bought a used xbone, played MCC, Halo4 and sold it with profit.
I like the idea of having a 4k HDR blu-ray player for that price, what’s holding me back is lack of support for audio-passthrough and other things in 3rd party apps: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=326228

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the new Halo games, not done by Bungie are meh imo.

1 Like

Halo Online is a pretty decent experience if you’re looking for MP. As far as buying an xbox goes, I dont know because I sold mine. Used market seems to be the way to go.

2 Likes

Nothing before Black Friday. I usually get the goodies around that month.

1 Like