Time to upgrade my Ryzen 2700x. Need some input

No, I didn’t mean an APU; the 5700X and 5700G are two different processors. The 5700X is essentially a 5800X with lower out-of-the-box PBO limits and slightly lower clocks. It came out a few months ago and it’s typically $15–30 cheaper than the 5800X.

OK I finally found it. I never knew the thing existed. Then yes you would be correct if you can find one. If the builder lives near a Micro Center or doesn’t mind a day trip, I think they could easily find a better processor on the cheap.

I just completed mine a few weeks ago and could not be happier, really. Instead of building a Threadripper I went with the 5950X, many of the guys here helped me figure out what to do, saved me a good bit of money, still it was not cheap. When throwing everything at it, (30 programs open with two bench marking programs slamming it and two AAA games running) I have seen the PSU output almost 800W, glad I went with the 1600W model, it is normally running at about 91% to 93% efficiency. As hard as I try I can’t get this version of windows to crash, lock up, or blue screen, yet. It never over heats, in fact the temps are very cool, and I still need to add another fan and the thermal Grizzly paste. Going to water block the GPU next probably. The build came together flawless, POSTed on the first try, nothing DOA, and solid as a rock. Will be adding in 7 x 140mm QL fans soon, maybe. As I sit here and type this, and not doing much, just gamed for a bit, all fans are wide open, GPU fans and PSU fans wide open, CPU is at 39C and the GPU hottest temp is 33C. Hope this helps a tiny bit. I would water cool the 5950X. Have a great day!

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C / 32T 4.9Ghz CPU
ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570S RGB MB
Corsair Dominator Platinum 128G 3600Mhz CL18 RGB RAM
ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 3090 24G OC RGB GPU
ASUS ROG Herculux RGB GPU Holder
Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2T OS / Games SSD
Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2T Scratch SSD
Samsung 1T SSD & Sandisk Extreme 1T SSD USB Externals
Corsair H170i Elite LCD AIO 420mm RGB LCPUC
Corsair AX1600i DATX ULN 80+ Titanium PSU
Corsair Pro Sleeved PSU Cable Kit
Corsair 7000D Airflow Full Tower Case
Corsair QL 140mm RGB X 7 Fans (soon)
Samsung 32" S70A UHD 4K Monitor
Corsair K100 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Blue Yeti X Microphone
BOSE Companion 5 Speaker System (not pictured)
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
Savage LED60K 500 Watt LED Studio Light Kit
Tripp-Lite, APC, & Belkin Surge Suppressors
Husky 52" Adjustable Rolling Metal Work Bench (300Lb Capacity)

If you’re going for a major rebuild then really go for it. There are better CPUs than the 5950X if you’re prepared to switch motherboards.

It seems like you’ve suddenly come into money. Why else are you still on a 2700X when with a little bit of money you could have been on the much much better 3700 or 5800X.

The sensible upgrade would be chuck in a 5900X because it’s cheaper and better than a 5950X in some instances.

For some reason you were able to afford a Radeon VII but failed to really use it because a 2700x really won’t push it. A complete waste of a GPU.

64GB RAM helps in some cases but you won’t really miss it.

Just change the CPU to a 5900X for now, do nothing else.
Wait to see what the next gen is like because you have enough money to blow away your proposed system.

For $15 I wouldn’t bother with the potential hassle, and go with the 5800x which is pretty much guaranteed to have support in shipped UEFI for any board released in the past 12-18 months whereas a 5700 may not.

And yes, the newer released 5 series do need more recent UEFI/BIOS for support or they won’t detect/work. A colleague got burned with a 5500 (or 5600 non-x, I forget) with that.

2 Likes

I ran a 2700X until 5000 series because I don’t upgrade every component every year as an example. Nothing to do with just “coming into” money.

Have other hobbies, etc. Upgraded GPU first then the 5900X was on sale at a very good price so impulse purchased it.

2 Likes

Fair enough in most circumstances but getting off of Zen1 should have been priority in terms of getting the full benefit of your very expensive GPU.

You already do have good tight 3200 memory
The 5___ series CPU, will give your memory more leg room [can always bump up later]

Yes, if the price delta is around $15, I’d say the 5800X is the better choice. However, the 5700X has recently been on sale for as low as $200, making the price delta (at the time) closer to $70. If you’re buying a motherboard with BIOS flashback—or if you can flash an existing motherboard before swapping CPUs—it’s worth the extra step or two. All AM4 boards should be flashed to AGESA 1.2.0.7, anyway, so it’s not like you’re doing any extra work; you just don’t want to get stuck with an incompatible combo like your colleague.

The 5700X runs at a lower TDP out of the box as well, if you care about that sort of thing. You can make it run like a 5800X and vice-versa by adjusting PBO limits.

Yeah, it’s the reason I went with the G.Skill Flare-X at the time before prices went up with a good memory that worked out of the box with the 2700x. I had always debated on going to 3600Mhz, but I don’t know if I would see much of a performance difference?

I was looking into upgrade the GPU and maybe memory to 3600Mhz with tight timing’s and maybe wait this out till AM7, maybe? Since I don’t game much and this is a Linux workstation I think this platform might last a few more years. Thoughts?

Maybe just get a 6700xt and ram at 3600Mhz and wait for AM7? No much of a gamer anymore and there are so many older titles to play to keep me busy if I did get back into it.

if you can get a 5950x under 600 you are solid. 7950x is what im building and it is quite pricey. ddr5 ram is double ddr4 per gigabyte. youd likely need more than a nhd15. 6800xt is a fantastic gpu. Also, 13th gen for intel is a dead end platform (likely). Supposedly 13th gen is last cpu on that specific socket. So a year from now you will be looking at not being able to upgrade 13th gen with the same board.

Also if you live near microcenter. they are doing a promotion. ryzen 7 or 9 (7000) and get 32gb of ddr5 ram free. also 20 dollars off motherboard and cpu combo. So there is that.

Sorry but also 5900x has been seen at times on amazon under 500 usd. and 5700x/5800x are going for ~250.

1 Like

This can run 5950x no problem. With a bios update of course.

1 Like

Maybe just get a 6700xt and ram at 3600Mhz

A waste of money unless you get a Zen3 CPU. Get that first and then decide if you need a Zen4.

A post was merged into an existing topic: The Lounge [2020 Two Edition]

If you don’t game much core to core latency or memory latency isn’t so big a problem; you’re likely more concerned with throughput. Also increased number of cores means you can dedicate individual cores to things with more granularity.

Even so a 5900x for example games fine!

Before the x3d they were on par with intel 11 series for gaming. Just because the 3d cache is better doesn’t mean the 5000 series without it are bad!

I’d grab a 5900x or 5950x while they’re still around (depending on cost difference - 5900 to 5950 is definitely diminishing returns on am4) and wait for am5 or a later platform to mature.

Re your cooler. It’s one of the best air coolers on the market. It will be fine.

1 Like

The best argument for 16 cores is VFIO. You can give Windows eight cores for a 5800X-like experience, you get two cores for your pinned I/O and emulator threads, and you still have six cores completely free for a snappy Linux desktop.

1 Like

VFIO was one of my plans. I want to experiment with it and Looking Glass.

You really can’t go wrong. Both have pretty good offerings. I play allot of Simulators like Transport Fever II and Satisfactory. Both games build up allot of assets. I find an 8c does a good job but the 12c, 3900X,5900X, is just amazing.