Time in Firefox in UTC instead of local time

Hi everyone,

ever since I set up my Gentoo install again, I had this issue that the time Firefox uses is in UTC instead of local time. Now for me in central Europe this is not a big deal, since it’s just one hour off (at the moment), but it can be quite confusing at times.

At first I thought this might be a privacy-related plugin, but I couldn’t find any option about time. When I start Firefox in safe-mode where all plugins are disabled, it’s the same situation. On the other side, my system time is correct and running date vs. date -u does show different values, so my system does have its timezone set up correctly.

Did anyone have this problem before and knows a solution?

Did you enable fingerprinting protection in firefox? I found the same issues when I had it enabled. Turned all my times to utc etc.

1 Like

Thanks a lot! :smiley:

That was what happened. I went to about:config and searched for “fingerprinting” and saw that it was activated. When I put it to false and restarted the browser, my timezone finally matched.

I wish they would offer to exclude the timezone from their mechanism. While I do like my privacy online, I feel like the timezone is quite useful.