Update 2019/10/13: Added a video showcasing the mod.
Update 2019/1/10: Build is basically finished! Check build log!
It’s been over five years since I originally built my computer. I’ve upgraded parts here and there since then, but I figured that it’s time for an update!
I decided to be a bit more ambitious for the build this time around. I’ve been fiddling around with transparent LCDs over the past year, planning for this build. As a result, I have some requirements for this particular system, which will hopefully also feature a transparent LCD panel!
Note: This is my working prototype case - I’ll be modding another case as well
|CPU||AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor||Purchased For $150.36|
|CPU Cooler||Noctua - NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler||Purchased For $60.15|
|Motherboard||MSI - B450M MORTAR TITANIUM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard||Purchased For $97.97|
|Memory||Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory||Purchased For $117.96|
|Storage||Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive||Purchased For $103.02|
|Video Card||Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card||Purchased For $512.86|
|Case||Fractal Design - Define Mini C TG MicroATX Mid Tower Case||Purchased For $65.53|
|Power Supply||SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply||Purchased For $75.04|
|Other||“Phanteks PH-CB-CMBO_WT 19.68"” Cables - Internal Power Cables"||Purchased For $0.00|
|Other||Noctua NA-HC4 chromax.white heatsink covers (for NH-D15, NH-D15S & NH-D15 SE-AM4)||Purchased For $26.91|
|Other||Intel Compute Stick||Purchased For $34.79|
|Other||1080P HDMI Female to VGA Female Adapter Video Converter with 3.5mm Audio for PC||Purchased For $3.28|
|Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts|
|Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-21 18:38 EST-0500|
- Internals must be as white as possible to bring out the full effect of the LCD side panel.
- Micro-ATX or smaller. Because mid-towers are just too damn big.
- Quieter than my current system
- Aesthetically pleasing in general
- Less than $1.5k unless there are some killer deals.
After camping deals for the past week, here’s the breakdown. Keep in mind that I’m in California, so I get taxed out the ass.
- Ryzen 7 1700X: $150 before tax with 8% eBay bucks back. This is a placeholder until Ryzen 3, which is what I wanted to wait for originally. At $150, it’s pretty crazy performance per dollar imo.
- Noctua NH-D15S: $60.15 after an eBay 15% off I think. Purchased back in December 2017 because of how well it performs and how quiet it is. With the availability of white Chromax covers, it fits my requirements. Still waiting on the AM4 bracket. Noctua also is supposed to be shipping me white anti-vibration mounts, which is very kind of them to do.
- B450M Mortar Titanium: $98 from B&H, so no tax! Sadly not as white as the B350M Mortar Arctic I was eyeing last year, but I think it will do. On the plus side, the VRMs are quite a bit nicer. There aren’t many boards which are white, and I always like MSI boards for some reason so this was an easy pick.
- T-Force Delta RGB: $110 before tax, with 2% cashback. Not B-Die or super amazing clocks, but it looks good, is white, and is also RGB. I’ve heard of people running the full 3000mhz on Ryzen 1 so I’ll take my chances. Still a bit more than I’d like to pay (rip $60/16gb days), but oh well.
- 860 Evo 1TB: $119 before tax, with 30% cashback. I originally had a 970 Evo 500GB, but this deal popped up so I returned it. $100 for a Samsung 1TB? No brainer.
- Gigabyte RTX 2070: $550 before eBay’s 15% off coupon today. Took the hit on price-performance considering some of the 1070Ti prices going on right now, but I saw the look of the white card and just had to have it. Also it’s new, and having new stuff is cool.
- Define Mini C TG: The star of the show. I’ve built a LCD into one of these cases already, so I picked up another one of these on an eBay sale back in March '18. I’ve also purchased white Plasti-Dip spray. I haven’t actually started modding the second case yet - I’ll take some pictures when I do.
- Focus+ Gold 750w: On sale and had a rebate. Great performance and it’s modular. Completely overkill, but the fan should run passively at idle. I’ve had it running in my current build for a few months now and will swap it over to the new one.
- PSU Cables: Got gifted white extensions from a friend. Because white.
Alright, now why do I have a compute stick listed? I could go on for awhile about why, but it boils down to this:
- Eliminates stutter on >60hz displays
- Allows for the side panel LCD to be connected internally
Alright, that’s about it. Now I just have to wait for the parts to arrive!