Tight Budget, want a 4690k cpu. Best cheap mobo?

On a tight budget. I was thinking about getting a 990 fx mobo and a amd 8350 but i'm reading that the 4690 is way better and that i can save money on the motherboard because intel boards are cheaper? I just don't trust cheap parts and this is my first build. what is a reliable mobo for the 4690k.

What is your budget???

Don't expect to achieve or maintain any massive overclocks with a cheap motherboard.

As stated above, we need a definitive budget before we can recommend anything.

budget?

Basicly any Z97 board will overclock, but yeah you dont wanne go too cheap imo.

You are better off buying a cheaper CPU and a better motherboard. You can always upgrade the CPU later. Motherboards are a lot of trouble to upgrade 

Go for an Asus Z97-K. It's the most affordable Z97 motherboard Asus can offer for unlocked LGA 1150 Intel CPUs. What's impressive about Asus' overclocking motherboards - is their overclocking potential, especially on bad CPUs - believe me, I have an i5 4670k that wouldn't overclock above 4.2ghz for the last 8 months - after Asus' 2103 bios update and Delidding the CPU while placing Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste under the IHS, plus, using the Noctua NH-D14 coupled with Noctua's NT-H1 thermal paste, I was able to get a stable OC @4.4ghz on all cores with 1.32v and 4.2ghz on both min and max on the CPU cache with 1.32v. With the CPU overclock coupled with a GPU overclock, I was experiencing noticeable performance increase - my games were able to run at higher settings at smoother frame rates. Remember, if you're planning to overclock your CPU, don't think twice - buy a Noctua NH-D14 or NH-D15 - it will lower temperatures well and increase overclocking potential - also, go for low profile RAM so that the Noctua heatsink fits.

You can overclock with H and B series boards now for the most part, you just have to check to see if they support the update.

Do you actually want/need to overclock or were you just after a nice fast gaming CPU? You don't need the first to have the second, especially if real world gaming experience is more important than benchmark scores.

Granted, there are a handful of games that benefit from an overclocked CPU but they are few. Most games - Crysis 3 etc. play just fine on a lesser i5 CPU with a good card.

If you are on a tight budget and don't actually care about over-clocking why not get a cheaper locked CPU and put the savings towards other components?

If of course you want to overclock, fair enough, but if budget remains tight you could get a Z97 board and a Pentium K G3258. Overclocked this little 2 core chip will give great gaming performance for most titles and you can then upgrade to an i5 or i7 K series later on. 

If you are interested on over-clocking a G3258 this is worth a read, they use a H81 mobo:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-g3258-b81-cheap-overclocking,3888.html

Unless you go with LN2 cooling it doesn't matter. Heat fromt the CPU due to speed and or voltage you need to throw at the CPU is more a factor. Then there is also the firmware that can help, but physically any board will work so it's more a feature decision than the question "will it overclock".

Motherboards are not the limiting factor when you go with air or closed loop water cooling. Only high end watercooling might touch the limits of a board, but even that it easier the CPU will be your limiting factor.

Do you mind sharing some data to backup your statements?

Motherboards are not the limiting factor when you go with air or closed loop water cooling. Only high end watercooling might touch the limits of a board, but even that it easier the CPU will be your limiting factor.

From personal experience, I can confirm that this is incorrect. I've tested my i5 3570k on both cheap and premium motherboards. With a NZXT Havik 140, the maximum overclock I was able to attain on my ASRock Z75 Pro3 motherboard was 4.4 GHz. The mosfets were far too hot, so I was forced to turn it down a notch. However, when I popped my 3570k in a friend's Asus P8Z77 V motherboard (using the same cooler), I was able to easily crank my CPU up to 4.8 GHz.

He is likely referring to the fact that Haswell has heat issues which Ivy Bridge didn't have as much.

Those issues were resolved with Haswell Refresh. Regardless, the quality of a motherboard still matters when overclocking. Which takes us back to my original comment...cheap motherboards do not overclock as well as premium boards.

yeah good for you but you missed a crucial point what were the voltages.

Asrock especially on early firmware has very loose settings for it's overclock profiles. As I have a 2600K and Asrock Z68 Pro 4 I had the same issue. later firmwares were already better. Adjusting the voltages manually even more. This btw is how Asrock seems to work though. They tend to release the first boards with immature firmwares. So sure you can throw in a chip on another motherboard but it's more than just crank up the speed if you want to do it right.

Choosing an overclock profile is just fine but do not expect the best performance when you use that and do not expect the same results from every motherboard.