Thunderbolt User General Help Area

I just received an answer from Gigabyte tech support. I originally asked if they were going to fix some bugs that I am having with the GC-MAPLE-RIDGE card installed on a B550m AORUS Pro board (which has the 5-pins connector).

The card is working fine, but there are some weird things going one (see image below). Also : I was originally able to see some TB infos in the bios, but since I updated to the latest bios, anything related to TB has been removed from the Bios. That does align with the answer I got from tech support saying that Intel will no longer certify Maple Ridge on the AMD platformā€¦ (that was a surprise to me, not sure if this is the truth, or if the guy just wanted me to buy an intel board instead). Anyway, the Maple Ridge AIC still works fine on my B550m board, but there is nothing available in the biosā€¦

Here is the interaction with tech support :

1 Like

Yeah, lines up with what they said about the WRX80 socket board as well. They just told me they had no plans to include support for it.

I donā€™t actually think intel do any of the certification. They just provide the chipsets and the board makers create the cards and add support. Itā€™s not a matter of Intel certifying it, itā€™s a matter of the board makers to actually be bothered to add support for it, especially since TB4/USB4 is an open standard.

Do things like hot swap, etc work on your board now bios support has been removed as my machine kept asking for stuff to be enabled in the bios under the thunderbolt utility program for it to work properly

I got a GC-Titan-Ridge card a week or two ago, and itā€™s odd: it recognizes Thunderbolt devices just fine, but it wonā€™t recognize plain USB 3.0/3.1 devices. The XHCI sometimes shows errors in device manager, and sometimes causes PCIe AER (Advanced Error Reporting) errors on the root port I put it behind.
Iā€™ve tried it with two motherboards:

• Asrock B550M Steel Legend (unpopulated Thunderbolt header makes me sad)
  • Asrock X570D4U-2L2T

Iā€™ve tried both NVM23 and NVM50, both behave the same. I even stuck the card in a friendā€™s Gigabyte machine to disable Thunderbolt security, and it still fails. Is my card likely defective?

Well, I ended up returning the thing. I donā€™t know if itā€™s defective, since I forgot to test plain USB3 devices on it with my friendā€™s Gigabyte, and he lives too far away for me to try it again.

Another amusing fail: The Titan Ridge and an LSI SAS2308 HBA are mutually exclusive: Thunderbolt requires pci=realloc, but that option makes the LSI HBA vanish from the PCIe bus!

I tried the Maple Ridge, and that was even worse ā€“ it hangs the machine during reboot! Iā€™m going to return that too.

aBav, I finally created an account on this forum in order to thank you for this thread/guide.

I bought a Titan Ridge card at the end of last year, and built a computer with it. But itā€™s been sitting in my computer as ā€˜Base System Deviceā€™ for nearly 12 months. I had tried numerous different methods that I had found online or seen YouTube videos of, but none of them helped.

I had a lot of the BIOS settings the opposite of your general tips, and I had never tried to install the .inf files manually. (Thatā€™s ā€˜System Informationā€™ for those whose Windows wonā€™t display the file extension.)

I have yet to test my newly recognized Thunderbolt Card with a Thunderbolt device yet, but Windows Device Manager finally knows what it is!

For everyone else, I followed the steps in the guide on an existing installation of Windows, just disconnected it while I manually installed the inf files.
System:
Windows 10 (up to date as of mid October 2021)
AMD Ryzen 5800x
ASRock x570 TaiChi
Titan Ridge 2.0 (Shows up as Thunderbolt Controller - 15EB)
64GB RAM
RTX 2060 KO (Updated to Studio Driver today)

Feel free to ping me if any further information I can provide will help the efforts to build out a guide.

ThunderboltYES

These two INF files did not give me a pop up window that said ā€˜file was successfully installedā€™ but every other INF file did.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Happy to hear that it seems to work for you!

I can confirm the behavior that sometimes the two component drivers you mentioned donā€™t give an setup complete dialog window - sometimes they do.

(Have installed about a dozen AMD systems with Thunderbolt 3 AICs so far).

The only ā€œthorne in the sideā€ points for me are getting the GC-Maple Ridge TB4 AIC to work at all like the GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 does and firmware updates for the AICs, version 50 for TB3 and 28 for TB4 AICs are both outdated and Gigabyte doesnā€™t seem to care.

Sapphire announces an official Thunderbolt 3/4 6600XT eGPU:

What Iā€™m calling major BS on: Linux is not supported.

Yes it is, you just need to modify amdgpu conf files. They literally think if itā€™s impossible to configure in the GUI that itā€™s impossible period.

Edit: Okay, this guy just gave up trying.

Even if amdgpu has issues with it right now, it wonā€™t stay that way forever. The graphics stack is open source.

Just means donā€™t call them for help. Thatā€™s how Linux normally is.

I had my wx7100 working fine over tb3 earlier today.

Yeah, thatā€™s basically Linusā€™ point with the 1 month challenge.

I mean, love it or hate it, teething issues like that are just gonna keep coming up.

Yeah. Iā€™m the Linux workstation pilot at my company. I should really do a write up on it one of these days after I have some time to interview the helpdesk guy and the IT director on their experiences.

It wasnā€™t smooth, but we got it working and boy does it work!

Most of the issues were due to hardware shortages tbh. Stuck with an Optimus laptop and am required to run Ubuntu.

Ouch. Optimus/Muxer/Max-Q stuff is gonna be painful on anything other than PopOS.

1 Like

Oh whatā€™s worse is the lenovo P1 I have has the thunderbolt display outs going through the nvidia card, so I canā€™t just turn it off and keep the laptop docked.

REEEE

Hi everyone,

I thought Iā€™d sign up to the forums and add some input to what Iā€™ve been working on and some of my findings.

I run a system with a Xeon 28 core W-3175X, ASUS Dominus Extreme, and 2x 3090ā€™s NVLinked (slot 1 & 3 respectively at full x16 bandwidth).
I have both the ASUS ThunderboltEX 4 and the GIGABYTE Maple Ridge TB4 AICā€™s as test units.
I also have a fully working Titan Ridge TB3 rev1 AIC with NVM 50 that works flawlessly with this setup. Zero issues with the Titan Ridge card. Full hot-plug, everything. So I reference all of my findings based around this setup.

TB drivers tested: .1054, .1094, and the latest .1193 (as of today).

I also have a Titan Ridge rev1 card flashed (with an EEPROM flasher) with DSM2ā€™s custom firmware but that is in a hackintosh setup and works flawlessly there. So, I wonā€™t be using that card for any testing.

Now, the Titan Ridge card and both the ThunderboltEX 4 and GC-Maple Ridge were put into the PCIE 4 slot running at x8 (so full allotment for the AIC to run). Header cable details will be discussed further per unit. I used a OWC 10G Ethernet Thunderbolt Adapter to test Thunderbolt connectivity.

Side note: I also tried PCIE slot 2. I donā€™t know if it was placebo or what, but I feel like at one point, it didnā€™t crash my system as much. I did later test the slot again but also eventually crashed my system. But at one point, I had it specifically on slot 2, and the system ran fine. Once I moved it to Slot 4, is when the crashing started to be frequent. Like I will mention, timing is random. Could have just been timing and luck.

Here were my findings/experiences with Maple Ridge on a non-supported system:

Letā€™s start with the ASUS ThunderboltEX 4:

The card works. USB Header cable was connected from card to motherboard.
The card will also work WITHOUT the thunderbolt header cable but my findings were that the USB header cable has to be connected otherwise hot-plug will NOT work. Unplugging and re-plugging the OWC unit in both ports 1 & 2 works flawlessly.

I still went ahead and bridged PIN 1 (TB_FORCE_PWR) to PIN1 on the 5 pin header (which is GPIOA). I also messed around with jumping pins 3 and 5 on the ASUS card but not entirely sure if it even did anything. I know this works with the Titan Ridge card on older NVMā€™s but I donā€™t think this did anything in regards to this specific card/header.

Even though the card WORKS there is something going on with Maple Ridge OR the firmware that hangs my system. My system posts BUT upon rebooting, it will either freeze, or I will get a BIOS error that overclocking has failed even though, there is NO overclock done to the system. Not even XMP. Everything AUTO/set to defaults.
The other very strange thing is, is that the card will also randomly freeze/lock up my entire system once Windows is fully booted. The timing at which this happens is completely random. Sometimes 10+ minutes in, sometimes 5+ minutes in. This does not happen with Titan Ridge. So this tells me this has something to do with Maple Ridge and some sort Intel witchery happening. Either with improper sleep state handling, the firmware, etc. I donā€™t know.
The card, with or without headers (TB or USB) will freeze my system eventually OR throw the overclocking failed error. Even just having the TB4 card in a PCIE slot will throw the error. So something is happening on a BIOS or firmware level that trips my system. I also messed around with Native Mode and BIOS Assist mode. Didnā€™t seem to help.
Remember, when I do get into Windows (after a hard power cycle, or bypassing the overclocking error and just discarding changes), the card actually works. Full hot-plug and everything. But something is going on with Maple Ridge either requiring something, thus crashing the entire system, eventually.

Once I unplug the card from the PCIE slot, all issue are gone. Putting the Titan Ridge card back in, restores the system, and all works perfectly. No random freezes. Reboots work. No overclocking errors. Nothing. It all works.

Itā€™s really weird.

Hopefully someone manages to create a custom firmware to either fix these issues or something. I doubt ASUS will read this and issue a NVM firmware to support older systems. But if this controller gains the popularity Titan Ridge did, I feel these cards will be opened up eventually by someone/a group.

Now letā€™s move onto the GIGABYTE Maple Ridge card:

The card also works. Having the OWC adapter shows up on the Thunderbolt Control Panel. NVM firmware 28. Pci-e tunneling shows as DISABLED although. No security (SL0). USB header plugged in and 5 pin TB header plugged in. No 3 pin as my motherboard does not have that.
Hot-plug does NOT work although. Unplugging the OWC unit into both ports just doesnā€™t show up again. Strange, as I thought the GIGABYTE card would work better out of the box with the TB header actually being the same compared to the ASUS TB4 card.
On top of that, the card ALSO manages to crash my system like the ASUS card does. Again, timing is random.
Which tells me Maple Ridge is doing something at a root level that trips the entire system because of course, is obviously not supported. Even though, TB does actually work. I think something is going on with a sleep state handling, RTD3, or something in the firmware.

I can post pictures of my findings later. I mistakenly did not take any screenshots, as I was focused on trying to rule out variables by testing so many things. Shorting different pins, adjusting different BIOS settings, etc. I want to say i tried a lot of things.

Again, I think once the hackintosh scene gets work done on a custom firmware (like we saw with Titan Ridge), is when we will see these cards opened up a lot more.

If anyone has anything they want me to test, please let me know. I will test it and post results here for anyone wanting to figure out how this new controller is operating on older/non supported systems.

This was mostly just to post some initial general findings. I do have an ASUS x299 system that I can try this on and see if it also does the same thing. These cards could also very well work with your system and NOT freeze your system like itā€™s doing to mine. Who knows.

Thanks!

5 Likes

Thanks for the report.

You said that when you tested the Maple-Ridge AIC you connected the 5 pins header to you MB, but you did not mention which MB (maybe I missed it). Is it one of the compatible motherboard listed on the GB site ?

I recently stopped trying to make my Maple Ridge cards work, and got the Titan Ridge to work flawlessly on 4 systems (all using the Aorus Pro B550m motherboard). Everything is running smoothly.

I feel like if I absolutely want to make the Maple Ridge cards work, I would have to buy compatible Intel motherboard, which wasnt my plan originally. That is why i am interested in knowing which MB you tested.

Thanks !

1 Like

Itā€™s kind of strange: In the meantime I built systems with ASUS AM4 motherboards with onboard TB4 Maple Ridge controllers and they work fine there (except that there arenā€™t any security settings in the UEFI and you have to rely on DMA protection through the driver/motherboard firmware in general in a booted operating system)

But would also like to get the GC-Maple Ridge to work on the ASRock AM4 motherboards where the GC-Titan Ridge 1.0/2.0 just work flawlessly to have that juicy 100 W power delivery feature available, the ASUS motherboards with onboard TB4 controllers cannot do that :frowning:

Now I regret returning the Titan Ridgeā€¦ I bought one again to try in an ARM board, but now I have no way to disable Thunderbolt security, except by buying an SPI Flasher. (For those curious, Thunderbolt didnā€™t work on the ARM board, because the required pci=realloc option is x86-only!)

Unless Iā€™m just really unlucky and got a second defective Titan Ridge card, it seems like Titan Ridge is just incapable of detecting 10-gigabit non-Thunderbolt Type-C devices, such as one of the USB-NVMe enclosures.

Canā€™t say anything about getting the GC-Titan Ridge AIC to work on ARM but I can say that on Windows x64 10 Gbit/s USB-C devices definitely work with it (tested 10 Gbit/s USB-C SATA and NVMe enclosures).

Thatā€™s oddā€¦ Iā€™ve tried it on both an X570D4U-2L2T and a B550M Steel Legend, and in both cases, it fails to detect USB devices. And the same was true of the one I returned.

I only have experience with motherboards that ā€œproperlyā€ support TB AICs with a 5-pin header, maybe thatā€™s something to investigate?

is there any info on how the bios/uefi initalize the thunderbolt chip? thx