Threadripper Pro or EPYC Boost Clock in ESXi?

Can the CPU Boost frequency work on hypervisor like ESXi?

Is there any difference between TR PRO and EPYC in this context? I had a 3000WX and couldn’t get it to work.

As far as I know, if you’re having trouble maintaining boost clocks, then that probably has more to do with your cooling than the specific workload you’re running on the machine.

1 Like

On a system with 0% load, I can’t find any evidence of CPU boost on ESXi itself or a (Windows) Guest.

Is it possible to see Boost Mhz somewhere?

1 Like

Why would you expect the CPU to boost to full speed when there’s nothing for it to do?

Exactly how boosting works will vary a lot depending on the workload, but if it’s not working at all, then, yeah something’s not right. If you’re confident it’s not a cooling problem, and it’s under significant load, then you’re probably missing a bios setting, or have the wrong CPU governor in use, or something like that.

Running Windows bare-metal - it’s easy to see the dynamic CPU frequency and will boost above the CPU base clock (as expected).

Running ESXi with a Windows Guest OS - Seems locked to the CPU base Mhz and never shows any signs of boost on the guest or ESXi itself.

1 Like

Probably by design. ESXi is a relatively light install and coordinating boost (or not) across multiple VM’s would eat up a lot of overhead. The resource management per VM is static so the user can assign CPU power as required. Adding dynamic boost on top of that would complicate things and could cause instability.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.