Threadripper Pro 3975WX for VMware use

Hi all. First time poster here. This is my first high end build and would like to avoid making costly mistakes

I’m looking to build a workstation that will be solid for the next 5-10 years primarily to learn and use VMware products (vCenter, vSphere, vSAN etc). Will also use it setup a domain with Windows servers, Mail Servers, SQL servers, RHEL etc similar to a production environment.

I’ve settled on the following parts however any guidance from the pros is much appreciated.

CPU : Threadripper Pro 3975WX
Mobo : AMD WRX80 Pro EATX
RAM : Kingston 8 x 32GB ECC DDR4 3200
Cooling : NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm
Storage : SAMSUNG 980 Pro M.2 1TB x4
PSU : Asus ROG Thor 1200W
Case : Fractal Define 7 XL or Meshify 2 XL

My first concern is the case. I have read people have had cable management issues with the Meshify 2 XL.

For my use case is there any advantage of using Intel Optane 905P over the M.2s?

My ideal environment will potentially run 15-20 VMs concurrently with medium load.

My only issue with cable management in the Meshify 2 XL was that the pass through cable ports on the right side of the MB were covered by the MB.
The PS cables from my EVGA 1200 P2 were long enough to work over the top and from the bottom.
I’m not a cable management freak, so it all worked out to my satisfaction.

Did you liquid cool your system? Any concerns there?

No, I air cool. Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP with a second fan.
temps are fine, even with long synthetic workloads.
Noise is minimal, as far as I’m concerned.
I have only a single 3080ti gpu in the bottom slot, so there is plenty of room for air flow.

1 Like

Not sure you need all that PSU there. Have you built the system yet or still debating on parts? What about your GPU?

For the CPU cooler I wouldn’t pick any AIO that doesn’t have a full coverage water plate. I just struggled with this and found the Silverstone IceGem 360. It was designed for threadripper… I swapped out my Thermaltake Ultimate Water 3.0 360mm AIO for this one and the temps are literally 20-25C lower…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.