Threadripper in Epyc Server board

Hello everyone I have been toying around with getting another x399 motherboard for my old Threadripper 2920x that I replaced with a 2950x in my TrueNAS Scale server. I ended up water cooling it to keep the temps under control in my rack. I came across the ARCTIC Freezer 4U for AMD SP3, sTRX4, TR4 that from the reviews works quite well. Unfortunately on a x399 the socket goes top to bottom and it would blow directly into my PSU in a 4U rack case. So I started thinking about an Epyc server board from like super micro or somewhere but I don’t want to spend the money on a board if it wont work.

Has anyone tired to put a threadripper in an Epic board just to see if it would work?
I know Der8auer managed to get an Epyc to work in a X399 board but it seams like no one has tried it the other way.

I haven’t tried a tr4 chip in a sp4 housing, but did get a 4U cooler, which does blow 90 degrees to my case flow (nothing major)

But the 4U cooler with the heat pipe ends, does not sit inside the 4U case.

I have to either have the case slightly open, or mod the cover. Not sue which, but check the clearance before you go too far…

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.