Threadripper 3970X ccx question

I have been planning a Threadripper build for, well… since 3rd gen came out. I want to do an Unraid build with a Windows VM, Linux VM, and potentially a Mac VM (thanks for the idea, Wendell) using pcie passthrough with it’s own NVME and video card. Easy enough.

Now, I want to be able to game on the Windows VM, and the video and io isn’t a concern, but this is what I’m wondering.

Would me isolating the fastest ccx via Clocktuner and giving the Windows VM the best ccx (let’s say 8 cores, 16 threads) be the equivalent of a R7 3700, minus any ram penalty?

I’d probably give the Linux VM 6/12 and make it like a R5 3600, then the rest of the VMs would just live without passthrough.

Thoughts?

Not fully, I’d say about 98-99%, as the Threadripper IO die has a general higher latency as the mainstream Ryzen 3rd gen, there is about 10-30ns difference.
:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I can take 99%. I’m also thinking about a 3960x in an O11 Dynamic custom watercooled as an actual workstation. But that’s another thread lol

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.