Threadripper 32 core with thunderbolt 3

Is there anyone that can help me figure out how to get my threadripper 32 core to work with my thunderbolt 3 Apollo X8p converter? I have the gigabyte Auros Xtreme motherboard with the gigabyte titan ridge Thunderbolt 3 pci card. Using the correct TB3 cable.

I have new chipset and bios and drivers.
The Titan ridge card identifies the universal audio converter from the thunderbolt software tray but there are error 31 errors in the device manager.
The universal audio software does not show the device attached.
I would hire someone to help.

Im not so qualified to help. I would say most of the forum will try to help you for free. However in your best interest I find that you should provide a screenshot of device manager errors so that people can help diagnose what might be occuring :wink:

To help expedite people discovering your thread. @Dynamic_Gravity and @Novasty are basically the forums “Windows” experts. They also do a lot of BSOD and memory dump diagnoses work so they should be able to provide more insight than I could give after you post your errors :slight_smile:

As always not saying this should influence your decisions with your hardware but for every thunderbolt post on the forum I personally feel somewhat obligated to post this however I do not believe it will affect your setup this part is for knowledge: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/thunderclap-vulnerabilities-allow-attacks-using-thunderbolt-peripherals/

maybe its simple? there may be a setting in the bios called

GPIO3 force pwr to true

otherwise

this odd site may have the solution

good luck in getting it working

if not maybe this thread will will help give you some ideas

Thank you for your guidance and help.
I will do screenshots and reach out to these windows experts.
I spent almost 10K on the system and I really need to get this working so I can change my production workflow to one system.
Best

1 Like

Thanks chaosu!
I will check the bios again but dont recall this being an option.
I have watched these videos and followed but the apollo X audio device software still doesnt see an attached device even though the thunderbolt software does.

if its still not working, then it will be a bunch of repetive questions about the following .

the chipset drivers for the motherboard need to the latest .

bios on the mobo also needs to be the latest.

same for the card if applicable.

latest version of win 10 preferably 1903 .

check with apollo and it runs in security l1

probably going to need and go ahead and place the relevant specs in the thread . (os version bios version card type and driver version and card bios version chipset version etc…)

also be sure that the bios has the pci slots running in 3.0 mode. and not 2.0

and of course make sure its hooked up right if applicable

1 Like

Also @Eden could aid. Depending on where you are I’m the world his responses might be delayed for you due to time zones :grin:

1 Like

Error 31 is usually hotplug related. Uefi fully updated?

1 Like

is there a way to access the bios settings of the card and look for an setting called something like

Devices under thunderbolt ? and to see if you disable it ?

per https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/code-31-after-rebooting-with-egpu-connected/ the last comment.

still thinking it is a chipset driver issue but taking it on faith that you have the latest chip set drivers from amd installed.

1 Like

The current bios installed is F5 which is most recent.
Ive been thru every setting in the bios and see nothing to do with thunderbolt. I will redownload the chipset, thunderbolt drivers again and try that again. I have my video card in slot 1…Ive tried slot 2 and 4 so far and either one thunderbolt is seen by the system tray software.
Gigabyte has Thunderbolt drivers and of course intel does as well…I could try those?

try the gb tb drivers. also, power down all the stuff, then power on the tb device then power on the system just in case it is some type of hotplug issue.

is this tb device supported on linux? I’m curious to try it there.

I almost always leave my interface on first and then reboot/power down the computer…not linux compatible.

This is the Apollo X audio interface requirements. It doesnt refer to AMD just intel…would this matter ?

• Thunderbolt 3 cable (not included)
  • Internet connection to download software and authorize UAD plug-ins
  • 6 gigabytes available storage
  • Quad Core i7 or better processor recommended
  • For additional compatibility information, visit help.uaudio.com

MAC:

• Available Thunderbolt 1, 2, or 3 port
  • Thunderbolt 1 and 2 connections require an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter (not included)
  • macOS 10.12 Sierra, 10.13 High Sierra, or 10.14 Mojave

PC:

• Available Thunderbolt 3 port
  • Windows 10 (64-Bit Edition)

The apollo converter works with my macbook laptop no problems…
Will I have better luck going thru the headache of trying to turn my threadripper into a hackintosh?

using this windows tb driver? and the titan ridge controller?

you have both the internal usb and thunderbolt cable in good?

Yes Im using the windows TB driver and the titan ridge controller.
The thunderbolt cable is definitely in good and pretty sure the usb internal cable is in good…what would happen if the usb wasnt connected? Ill check again on the cables.

Oh,…I did put the PCI into 3.0 mode instead of auto in BIOS and it didnt seem to change anything…do i need to change any PCI config setting in bios that the TB card is installed to?
(4x4 or 8x8)

Unplug the TB header from the mobo

Then try this

It’s a jumper cable
With this hotplug is likely out the window so hard reset the TB device when you powr on the system.

And be extra extra careful the jumper is only touching the two pins and nothing else or it could be real bad

2 Likes

No pcie 3.0 is a good idea. Into one of the x8 slots from the CPU.

1 Like

Thanks wendell.
Ill try this jumper trick tomorrow morning. Thank you again for your help.