Threadripper 2990WX Now or Wait

I have been doing a lot more video editing and the software is only available for windows. (Fought with it in Ubuntu using wine and wouldn’t work on a test machine.) The software is core hungry and will run every core at 98% if i let it.

Currently I’m running an ASUS Z10PE-D16 WS with 2 Xeon E5-2683 v3’s “56 threads”. I’m using a modded bios to use the ASUS HYPER M.2 X16 to have 2 M.2 drives in a raid 0 for my read write video editing drives and a FTW3 1080ti.

I’ve been editing more and more 4k video and transcoding it to 4k and 1080p final projects. I’ve been seeing all the reviews for the 3rd gen Ryzen 3000 processors killing the current gen Threadripper’s core for core same clock speed tests. So I know going from those old Xeon’s to the current Threadripper would be huge jump but I don’t know if i should wait till the 3rd gen Threadripper’s would be worth the wait.

I do game once in a great while but not very often. I’d like to hear thoughts on this.

Couple of things to consider.

Do we have a realease date for TR 3000?
If you need it right now then it is more pressing and might be worth it. but if you can wait you will benefit from likely more and faster cores along with faster memory support but I don’t know if that last one is as important in your work.

Are you on a budget?
The 2990WX will certainly be considerably cheaper than what ever new TR is, but again the trade offs as above, more, more faster and more stable (memory).

The 2990WX is only 8 more cores than your current set up, but likely faster too (dont know the specifics of either or how they would compare), so is that worth the out lay for a new motherboard and CPU right now?

And finally newer CPU stability, not that it is a shitshow or anything but there are a few oddities with the new Ryzen 3000 CPUs which are just a result of them being new and used in every way possible. TR 3000 will likely have some of this too for a little bit after launch but tends to be better as workstation stuff is generally more reliable and has to work more of the time compared to normal desktop parts.

All stuff you will need to assess your self.

EDIT: general side note, has the windows schedualer been fixed yet for TR?

I heard @Goalkeeper say Aug 7 yesterday I think. He may be BSing, or maybe he’s got a source. I’m hoping for a source, but maybe GK can confirm.

2 Likes

13 posts were split to a new topic: AMD Rome coming out on 8/7

You’ve got a lot of performance. What software are you using?

I’d absolutely recommend waiting. Zen 2 isn’t just a generational improvement. It’s huge. TR is supposed to be more than just “moar cores”

I don’t really know more than that, but if you’re not hurting for performance, wait and see.

1 Like

Thanks for the info guys.

Everything i have seen for Threadripper 3 is Q4 of this year. So im guessing probably just in time for christmas. I know the “Rome” aka Epic is slated for early next month. A little bit of a budget but pricing out what i’m looking at now puts me just over 3k for what i would need to get.

The Xeon’s I’m running now have a turbo clock of 2.5. So they are definitely on the slower side. So the clock speed jump would be huge.

I don’t know if Windows has fixed this yet I don’t think Wendell has given us an update yet. He is really the only one that catches those things.

But from the info the guys you brought up it definitely sounds like its worth waiting until the Next Gen comes out.

1 Like

I use the Movavi Video Suite works great and wasn’t too expensive and does more than just video, and Bigasoft Total Video Converter it does a great job transcoding video’s to smaller files.

Movavi: Definitely use’s my GPU but it does use some cpu.

Total Video Converter: Only seems to work right when i only use my CPU when i activate my GPU it seems to fail every time.

Wait imo if you have the budget