Computer

That’s All Folks, nothing here

1 Like

Do be aware PUBG’s Battleye now bans based on VMware or ESXi. KVM seems unaffected by Battleye at the moment.

1 Like

If you care about sequential write speeds, you should opt for the 1TB version of the 970 evo as it has twice the speed of the 500GB.

1 Like

It will just prevent you from running the game. I found this out while running a VM in VMWare Workstation, not realizing it had to be shut down before running the game. I wasn’t banned.

As it turns out, many (many) people were or are running a “radar” app within a VM, which sniffs the packets on the local network in order to determine the location of enemy players. This is why PUBG decided to blacklist VMWare. Kind of unfair (some of us do actual work, and play games like PUBG on break or while waiting for a compile…)

1 Like

Have you build this yet? if so how did it work out? I have a similar build in mind for similar purposes, specifically #2 of your routes but also set up some VMs for IBM QRadar and a couple of other things.

1 Like

Hi there,

your build is almost the same pc-build I did to be used as my workstation. I would be very grateful if you can spend some time and give me some information about your setup or an advice about mime.

The reason is that I’m getting many BSoDs in an unpredictable manner once in a time, both under idle or heavy load, which most of the time are BSoDs of DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION, CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED and occasionally KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. The bad news don’t stop there, after the system reboots form such an BSoD the bios cannot even post and enters to the bios setup. Then when I go to the boot priorities setting, the list of boot devices is empty, that’s it no disk at all, no boot drive. By that time the mobo is giving me the code A0 (IDE initialization is started). In order to overpass this weird behavior I’ve to force shutdown the pc and start it again, then magically the system posts and boots into the windows without any hassle.

I’m really frustrated and very disappointed and the worst is that I cant find any clue about the root of the cause of this odd behavior even reproduce it. Below you can find my setup:

Mobo: Gigabyte X399 Designare EX (Bios F11e)
CPU: AMD Threadripper 2950x
RAM: 4x8 GB TridentZ RGB 3200 C16 (XMP Profile)
SSD: Samsung EVO 970 512GB NVMe
VGA: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

In addition I’ve installed both the AMD chipset driver 18.10_1018 along with the AMD Ryzen Master. One very weird think is that despite this is a 16 cores/32 threads CPU, in the device manager I can see only the 31 processors instead of the total 32, do you see this in your system to? It might be a minor issue not related to the problem, I’m not sure.

I don’t want to bother you farther, I just want to know if there is anyone with the same symptoms like mine getting occasionally BSoDs. My first thoughts are that may be there is a faulty sata controller on the mobo or the samsung 970 evo it self is damaged.

Honestly I’m thinking to return both the Mobo and the CPU and go with Intel I can’t afford the possibility to lose my work.

Thanks in advance

I’m not sure if i would go as fare as calling rtx a dud, The idea itself is brilliant. However i do not think the current cards are strong enough for it to be useful in modern games. And i also think by the time the technology is mature we have moved on from the rtx 20 series.
And if it does suceed, I hope we are not stuck with nvidias proprietary rtx.