Threadripper 2000 series /thread

With as new as it is I’m not surprised.

In Store pickup only.

Closest store is 150 miles away. I could make that drive, but is it worth it and do I have the time… Not sure.

Also, my office runs near the limits of the circuit as it is, I don’t really want to increase my power consumption.

1 Like

Yeah just noticed that showed up on web store page, poor design

working passthrough out of the box is nice too.

Good write up on the 2990WX. Apparently, the old X399 boards don’t quite have the chops to handle the power draw of the 2990WX. Older boards will gimp the single core performance, but the newer boards being released will be able to handle it.

I’m surprised Level1 didn’t get one. Phoronix got a 2990WX and a 2950X and they are just a Linux only blog. They don’t even do videos.

1 Like

Hmm… I have seen some interesting stuff from tiny channels too. Perhaps related to thunderbolt hackery lol . I wouldn’t read too much into it tho

My impression is the supply is somewhat limited from folks I’ve talked to

1 Like

I doubt AMD cares about Tbolt hackery, if it was an Intel part maybe

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=2990wx-linux-windows&num=1

Nice.

3 Likes

That shit is pretty crazy

Interesting product in the 2990WX… a niche product but still a very solid attempt at 32 cores. Let’s remember something… 32 cores at the desktop for consumer is brand fucking new. And depending on your work load it could still be perfect for you. 2950X looks fantastic all around, will probably sell very well.

Looks like there is plenty of improvement to be had on Windows for the 2990WX so over the next 3 months it may get a whole ton better, maybe if Microsoft doesn’t screw it up.

I´m kinda currious how much of a negative impact this will have on latency.
And how this would affect real world performance.

It’s a very similar problem to the 2011-3 hcc parts. The hidden nodes. I spent a lot of time working on optimizations for software to try to deal with that on lonu. That’s why phoronix is showing better scaling performance on Linux than windows. Windows never has dealt with hidden nodes well.

If somehow Microsoft can make performance comparable (doubtful) the 2990WX would be a much more compelling buy as there is a decent amount of people who this processor are targeted at use Windows. That said, if you use Linux you are already a fair bit up… but use Liinux + not a very intensive memory workload, sweet jesus you got a productive beast on your hands.

I believe these issues can be solved with process lasso but I will probably not test myself.

I don’t really see why anyone uses CPUs for rendering any more – 1600 bucks of GPU will net you better render times.

Here’s hoping new AGESAs will make passthrough viable by then.

I’d love to see the new Gigabyte board paired with a 2950X, with the new Enermax 2nd gen TR4 AIO in a Define R6.

This is not unexpected, most games are likely:

• not optimised for 32 cores
  • don’t benefit from/require 32 cores
  • don’t know about NUMA architecture at all, let alone TR2’s slightly unconventional memory connectivity

Also, Windows scheduler is probably not aware of the memory layout and could probably be improved with more intelligent thread/core parking.

Its early days yet; if you’re buying a 32 core TR2 for gaming, you’re doing it wrong.

4 Likes

So, make -j kernel. … How long… and how much ram does one need on 2990wx ?

1 Like

Full 32 seconds :smiley:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-linux-2990wx&num=6

3 Likes