Threadripper 1950x how many CPU cables?

I bought Threadripper 1950x with an x399 extreme Gigabyte motherboard, there are two connectors for the CPU at the top, I don’t know if I should use both or I can use only one?

Have you checked your motherboard manual?

1 Like

I think the motherboard is designed for the second gen Threadrippers this is why most of the details are related to the second gen Threadrippers not the first gen.

As far as I know the motherboard can only draw 155w through the 4pin connector and Threadripper 1950x uses up to 220w from the 8pin connector (non stock clock).

I wouldn’t be comfortable doing that.

#edit: TDP is 180w stock so sounds like a bad idea

do what are you advise should I try and add the other power pin to the motherboard? and make them 2 instead of 1?

ATX_12V_1/ATX_12V_2/ATX (2x4 12V Power Connectors and 2x12 Main Power Connector)
With the use of the power connector, the power supply can supply enough stable power to all the components on the motherboard. Before connecting the power connector, first make sure the power supply is turned off and all devices are properly installed. The power connector possesses a foolproof design. Connect the power supply cable to the power connector in the correct orientation. The 12V power connector mainly supplies power to the CPU. If the 12V power connector is not connected, the computer will not start.

Well the manual doesn’t specify only using 1 connector but connecting 2 - 8 pin connectors should give you better power delivery.

OK, I will connect the two power lines now, I’m doubting that I’m having issues with the PC either because the new motherboard not stable yet or some other reason, but I’m trying to fix it.

Thanks for you help

Single 8 pin should be fine baiscally.
But yeah if your psu supplies dual 8 pin cpu power connectors then why not use them?

2 Likes

Each pin is rated for 12A, allthough only running 10 making it 120W per pin pair (12V and GND)
So 4pin is 240W and 8pin is 480W max.

2 Likes