Thoughts on the Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro?

Hey guys, I’m in the market for a new laptop and this has caught my eye. It’s getting quite a lot of praise from reviewers most notably Linus I guess.

So for £664/$882, there are a few reasons I’m drawn to it, but in short… good 1080p display, i5-8250U, MX150 & 250GB SSD. I don’t need a monster gpu just something that can handle stuff like lighter gaming when I’m not at the desktop… Civ, Telltale, This War of Mine type stuff.

On the other hand I really don’t want to buy from China (mainly customs/import duty worries) and I’m not really clued up on laptop cpu/gpus but looking at UK retailers honestly everything sub £500 just seems abysmal (no gpu, 720p displays, previous gen i3s etc) Is there anything else more easily available in the price range to sway towards that anyone could recommend that I may have missed ?

Cheers

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about that laptop for my father not only because of the price but the design as well. I like the no branding on the outside approach to be completely honest.
If you are looking into for the specs Dave Lee reviewed a really good laptop with same gpu but it was only available in like Malaysia or something.

However I was on amazon and found the laptop… or an updated version of it. With the same i5-8250U, 8GB Ram, MX150, & 256GB SSD. It’s currently out of stock but *shrugs* Also I don’t know if Amazon UK has it.

1 Like

Agreed on Dave Lee.

@Terry_Hintz
A word of caution, you might need to get a copy of Windows if you don’t plan on learning or reading Chinese. Also be ready to have no support should a problem arise. If you plan on installing Linux check to see if the parts are compatible with linux (if wifi antenna and mx150 is stored).

In terms of hardware, I don’t think there should be too much to worry about. If you are worried about import tax, you can see if anyone has already imported it to the EU and is selling new ones on eBay or if you visit China see if you can buy one there.

1 Like