Thoughts on Synology router

Hi All,
So I am looking at improving my home wifi with more features and faster performance.
So currently I am running my ISP router and its crap and locked down so I want to put it into modem only mode and forget about it.
To replace it I have had my eyes on the synology rt1900ac or the rt2600ac.
I am looking at it also for the VPN and the basic nas support so I can access files anywhere.

What are your thoughts?

Many Thanks

I generally recommend the Wirecutter’s guides for consumer electronics like this. Higher-end SOHO routers all support VPN client/server and NAS.

If you plan to use the router as a VPN client and leave it on, it’s pretty important to find a router with a higher-performance CPU. I would go with the Asus RT-AC86u with Merlin firmware as it hits ~300Mbps over OpenVPN. Otherwise, follow the Wirecutter.

its just for access to small files is the VPN, nothing more than that really.

Well then, if you want to spend a bit of money I would get either the Wirecutter’s recommendation or a RT-AC86u.

If you want to go super-cheap but still really powerful, I would get a T-mobile rebadge of the Asus RT-AC68u, it’s unbeatable on price/performance by a mile. Note that is different than the RT-AC86u I recommended above, I’m not dyslexic.