Thoughts on "mining GPUs"?

Yeah but titans more a gaming card, you want to look at deep learning or professional graphics you compare against cards like Quadro and Tesla not titan. :joy: So I guess I'm saying AMD's marketing department is hilariously confused.

I am that evil unwashed creature. :stuck_out_tongue:

Or maybe nvidias? :stuck_out_tongue:

For deep learning (well, computation in general) I think it's the Teslas, Quadros is more for Workstation stuff like CAD and 3D Modeling, no? Anyway, drifting is fun :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Radeon Vega for gamers should become the Radeon Rx 600 (Vega) series essentially.

Keep an eye out for those.

I thought that's what I said. :wink: Should have ordered them differently in my previous post though. :smile:
To be fair the Titan does make for a good fit for Indie game developers or freelance artists, yes.

1 Like

I think AMD and Nvidia want to profit from the whole mining situation without upsetting the gamers that just want to buy a GPU for a resonable price. That's why mining cards are made in my opinion.

Of course they are, but it doesn't really help anyone if there are not enough chips in the first place. Using the "few" available chips to produce mining-only cards won't make gamers any happier.

Then again in the current case the RX 470 chips are also "older" chips, not current for current GPUs... sooooo, there's that.

Warranty is confusing here, because the English language doesn't differentiate between what's called "Gewährleistung" and "Garantie" in german.

'Garantie' is really just a promise manufacturers make. It can be arbitrarily short and may be restricted at will.

'Gewährleistung' is enforced by the law however and cannot be any shorter than two years. So there's little reason to worry about any '1 year warranty' cards. For you at least :wink:

I'm not a lawyer.

2 Likes

Those chips are leftovers from the generation before the refresh for AMD and maybe are not enough good to reach the performance an AIB partner is expecting. So they can get rid of those, make money off of them and maybe help other people to get their hands on mid tier video cards.

Yeah the difference is kinda ew. For the Nitros the warranty/Garantie is actually 3 years though as I understand, so longer then "Gewährleistung" (not sure if such a thing even exists in other countries cause... you know... germany needs more laws, my dictionary says it's "implied warranty" in english).

Yeah, I might have mixed the manufacturer and "shop" warranty up, that is entirely possible.

As for the mining cards, should anyone buy them for mining and later put some up for sale used, lets say at least half off - I'll likely get one just to see if I wont be able to use it as a compute unit for Cycles GPU rendering. Could turn out to be a good budget choice since its reasonably performative for the price point and most important to me it just passes my self imposed minimum requirement of 8GB memory. The Instinct MI cards would be the most interesting but I'm expecting those to be be rather ridiculous where price is concerned.

They might also be interesting for people that want to farm more Folding@Home points but not invest a ton of money. Get a cheap used mining card and let it do its job.

What would be interesting is if those cards would be compatible in a crossfire build (I think someone mentioned this somewhere already). You just need the main Display Outs anyway, so might as well use a mining card as the secondary card.

Hmm, if not for crossfire then maybe Vulkan/DX12 multi-GPU? Haven't looked at those API's yet, but seems like A-Sync shader stuff might be relevant for that, maybe.

This is a cost-cutting measure on the manufacturer's end. They think the demand is there for strictly mining purposes, so why spend the extra money for display outputs they will never use? This saves them a substantial amount of money if they move that many mining cards. The big question is are these cards going to sell though? If they don't, then they stand to lose, unless they can ship them back to have display outputs installed.

Once cinema4d finally releases a gpu accelerated render build (which should be soon...) I would definitely buy one of these as an add on accelerator

On a side-note, didn't we have cards with display out years ago when Crossfire still had master and slave cards? :smiley:

most people after dropping 2k on mining cards this week

HugeLinearLamb

It is interesting that GPU manufacturers are willing to gamble on this that much. I know they are not aimed at those just starting but there is still a lead time on the pay back of 1.5 - 2 months on cards. So people have to believe they are going to have that much time at least to pay off the cards as the resale will not be as high as a full card. Sapphire too have to believe they can shift these quick enough to take advantage of that window.

I wonder will the market shift like people are thinking above to soak up some headless rendering/OpenCL cards. Sounds reasonable but that is not my area of interest so don't know if the numbers are there for when the mining craze ends.

My guess is that these PCBs may have defects that render displaying video a problem, but the core and memory is fine. So they sell them as mining cards to still make good money on them, but can't give display outs because obviously it wouldn't be useful.

That's what I hope anyway. This way it is technically increasing the supply of usable purchase-able cards.

I like the idea of being able to buy a card for machine learning that is cheaper than a video card but there is resale value to a video card that simply doesn't exist for a "mining card".