Thoughts on "mining GPUs"?

Hi, new poster here. Hope you don't mind me sticking my head half way through the door here to just quickly point out that the "miner cards" might be made from either refurbished gpu's or perhaps by basing them on chips with malfunctioning rasterization pipelines, or what ever the case may be. As long as shader units and memory/controller works it'll still make for a good compute unit. The key will be the price of these cards.

2 Likes

Everyone is welcome.

well, the offering above is 300Ā£ for the RX 470 (there's also one for 289Ā£ with non-Samsung memory, the RX 560 is 170Ā£ for about half the MH/s.
Unfortunately I can't find a regular RX 470 Nitro offering to compare to (at the same shop at least).

/edit
There's also 2 variants with just 4GB of RAM, no idea how that affects anything:
all RX 470 offerings

That does seem slightly pricey to me, but then I'm not too familiar with UK's VAT.

Mining card will need 8G to process the keys. 4G cards are on a time line that runs out soon.

Yeah that's what I thought too. I mean, why buy a card at the same price that you can't resell if you can just get the regular one. If the price was way cheaper I'd understand because then the resell doesn't factor in as much, but like this? weird...

Also something to consider is that those mining editions have only one year warranty, so reselling them could potentially be even bigger an issue... I don't know how often cards are swapped in the mining-business though.

Yeah, and as a 3D artist who would actually be interested in buying such cards used for openCL offline rendering I must say that cards below 8 GB are of no interest at all. I'd just end up crashing the renderer a lot.

edit: 1 year of warranty is standard, my RX 470 Nitro+ 8GB came with the same if not less iirc.

Huh what? That's weird, at least in the (german) article above it says 3 year for the RX 470 Nitro, same in the offerings above (geizhals link). Might be different depending on the country though. Nitro+ says 3 Year too, but that's for germany so who knows.

My asus strrix rx 480 has paid me $30USD in the last week,, Im wondering if it can do thet 10 more times and maybe buy me a Vega card.

But as Ryan would say.. Where the fuck is vega !.

soonā„¢
I guess in manufacturing though since they're supposed to release end of july? :stuck_out_tongue:

Waiting for godot? I thought Frontier edition is out or just about? Paper launch? :confused:

Have you seen nvidia's professional cards price....insane. I want some consumer card love.

Frontier Edition is out, not the consumer versions though.

Well, yeah but I mean it's basically competition for titan line, so only semi-professional. I'm sure the 1080 and Ti competition will follow, just with more optimal drivers, hopefully.

$1000 to $1500 a pop for one of the best workstation cards you can buy.

Order now! :smiley:

Well, they aren't for the massmarket. They are going against the Titan Line for Deep Learning as far as I know, so the price is... well, still cheaper then Titans.

Well duh.

This is a Radeon Proā„¢

At least AMD has their naming somewhat straight :smiley: Not like nvidias GTX Titan that isn't a GTX but has GTX on the cooler and uses GTX drivers .. what?
I think we're drifting offtopic tho :slight_smile: (even if it's fun to laugh about nvidia)

1 Like

No one is buying a $1k vega card. That is why I ask for consumer cards

No one?

You must be a gamer. :wink: