Thoughts on "mining GPUs"?

Sapphire released GPUs without display connections (https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/sapphire_rx_series_mining_gpus_hit_uk_store_shelves/1)

One of my first thoughts was: Would make for a great second GPU in a crossfire configuration as the second card is not used for display out anyway.

It is a great idea to try and get mines to not buy up the cards meant for gamers but creating cards just for them. However not having display outs at all kills the resell value of the cards. On the other hand, who wants a card that ran 100% load for 2 years anyway?

Thoughts?

Mh... I'm not all that much into mining, but as I see it this won't really help the shortage in Chips. Those are still the same chips in the end, and those are the problem. I can't imagine how this would really help a miner. As I understand they run a lower Memory-Clock (which helps in Power Consumption and doesn't hurt the hashing?), which could be done manually anyway, and have no Display out. Other then that they are the same cards...

Same chips = same problem, no?

At least that's how I understood the issue, it's not like the card manufacturers don't have the capacity to build the cards, more that there are not enough chips available, no?

As for the reselling, just because the card was at load for 2 years straight doesn't make it bad. The only thing that could really go bad is a) the fan, which you can replace, and b) the VRMs, which shouldn't really be an issue for quality cards. VRMs are rather resistent as far as I know.

Pretty much:

My take is that the true purpose of these cards is to prevent miners from flooding ebay with used cards once it inevitably becomes unprofitable. Last time this happened AMD suffered a really bad quarter iirc.

Yes it can be done manually and no it doesn't change performance. Etherium is limited by memory bandwidth, not compute performance.

1 Like

This will only exacerbate the problem until the eventual crash after the initial gold rush is over.

The problems aren't the PCB's, VRM's or much of the other parts that make a GPU. It's the GPU dies that are hard to produce in order to keep up with demand.

Sapphire is betting on selling less in-demand RX470 and 560 dies with cheap as dirt PCB's while the prices are still high to fill up their profits in that area.

Mh well good point, but I imagine for precicely this reason miners won't buy those cards, because you can't easily resell them.

I don't know much about over- or underclocking, but doesn't lowering the clocks also lower the bandwidth?

To be fair it's not a bad bet, right? Most "gamers" won't bother buying an RX470 when they could (assuming availability) get an RX570 for nearly the same price, so selling of the old parts that are similar in mining performance isn't all that bad right?

A mining card still makes sense when regular ones aren't available. With that said, polaris' mining performance is about to drop by 30%. So frankly, these cards don't make sense for anyone. Other than Sapphire.

You can underclock the core while overclocking the memory. Those two are independend.

Yeah but as I understand those sapphire cards are memory underclocked and core overclocked (to Nitro-level).
Memory: 3500 instead of 4000 MHz
Core: 1236 MHz Boost

I can't find any references to the cards clocks. Where are your numbers from?

1236 MHz is below the Nitro card's clocks and pretty much matches my experience as being the lowest possible clock speed without compromising on performance. (I was running mine at 1222MHz.)

It's kind of amazing how one can reclock the AMD cards without really affecting performance much.

Do it on a Nvidia card and performance drops so hard it puts a hole in the floor. :laughing:

basically see them as pointless as they usually factor in resell cost, which these mini cards will have virtually no value..

so unless the retailers were all brought in on some program to only sell x amount of gpus to a household per year or something like that(other then the miner models), and was actually pretty much all retailers then they just arent gonna buy them unless its the only card available

as if you can resell say a xfx 480gtr assuming no mining crisis buying stuff, for lets say 150-200? today as thats still a top tier 480 card slightly slower than brand new 580s for like 230-250 or whatever. with miner special card they could get what 50? or something pitiful? i mean you know the card is trashed where if its a cleaned up card no dust etc.. you may not know its that used of a card, if its the miner card its obvious, the value will be trash, so unless its way cheaper like half the cost, or effectively the only cards you can get at the time probably pointless

They'd make ok GPU render cards or AWESOME Hashcat password cracking cards.

hashcat in particular runs stupid fast on AMD.

It's about the only thing I can come up with for these.

1 Like

ye but i mean like.. how many people that are going to bid on specifically those cards on say ebay, is probably much less than if you just got a good card like 480 strix, gaming x, gtr etc

basically any non particularly shitty model with same gpu would sell for higher since they can do the same stuff and more id guess, but if the demand is nil the price would also be nil in open bidding. so if its 50-100$ less resale, compared to full featured cards unless the price is that much less of the top then its a no go lol

Been working with PW cracking software as I forgot the passphrase on one of my zip archives.
Hashcat on R9 Fury is like strapping a space shuttle booster to a vw beatle.

1 Like

German Site Computerbase

RX470 Nitro is exactly 1236: https://geizhals.de/1551932

Ah, I was thinking about the 480.

Thought so :smiley:

Though to be honest I don't know where they are getting their numbers, that card isn't even on Sapphires site anywhere...

/edit
Clocks are in this offer but that's about as official as it gets, everything else is just articles that probably got it from there...

Its interesting and stupid. Sure this mining bubble mean you can't buy a GPU. Making crippled GPU without display ports is a novel solution but why didn't they just build more normal GPU's and sell them ?

Maybe with AMD you will be able to crossfire an ex mining card with a normal card with display outputs. Or otherwise it make a nice coaster for your beer.

AMD didn't expect that they would sell so well, but changing quantities on the fly isn't as easy as it sounds, because the foundries may be taken by other projects or even other customers.

True but building a whole new mining GPU is not something to sneeze at either. Building more of the current tooled card would be easier than a brand new one that might last until the end of the year or a little into next year.

Crypto miners are money hungry and will prolly avoid mining cards because you cant resell them.

Yeah I just realised what you meant after writing this...

Taking the little GPUs they have and build them for potentially both kind of customers.

I don't think building that Mining GPU was all that dificult though, I mean in the end they just cut off the Display out (sadly we don't have PCB pictures, but my guess is that even the chip for the output is still there), and clocked differently.