Thoughts on Intel Hybrid Cores for Alder Lake?

The big thing for these will be what the base clocks are and what they can sustain. Intel have been playing games with boost for a while now, doing everything they can to pump up that instantaneous boost clock rate. I mean just look at the comet lake notebook parts. They’re a joke.

Whatever improvements intel have made to tiger lake BOOST clock, the real world will depend on what clocks they can actually maintain in actual use.

For just the AVX offset… Not the power, thermal and halt state penalties that rear their ugly heads after the 11 milliseconds of protected load duration.

That is entirely due to Apple’s silicon design and front to back optimization. There is actually nothing comparable between their silicon and Intel’s regardless of node. Most of what Intel provides to Apple has been fucked with for power and thermal efficiency over performance. Performance tweaking is almost completely down to software.

We’re talking about design risks, not fab risks. Not risking fresh designs or pulling things out of IP library to ship. Gripping their Skylake rosary for five years praying for a bright day. There won’t be bright days unless they do things like Alder Lake.

Was looking up some info and stumbled upon this old article about Alder Lake leaks (that early, wtf?).

APPARENTLY, according to this; they’re actually 8 cores ON TOP of 8 desktop cores. I forgot how I got the impression they’re going to be split in half. I’m pretty certain it was the more recent news about this. Logically i’m going to assume more recent info is more accurate. But this gives me hope.

:thinking:

1 Like

more than likely that’s not little big cores but just regular old glued together CPUS they made fun of AMD for

Huh?

I think he means not a single die made up with both big and little cores but just two dies side by side.

Intel tried to throw shade at AMD for “gluing” together lots of small CPUs with Ryzen compared to their clearly superior massive single chips.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.